Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's almost that time when Halloween is over and I start thinking of next year. I wanted to post some pics and ideas from my 2015 Halloween experienc.

This year's theme was "Science Fiction / Aliens"

The main props built for this year were:
1) Han Solo in Carbonite
2) Dr. Who TARDIS
3) Crashed UFO
4) Tripod UFO

Some smaller props were an R2D2 Trashcan, Pool Noodle Light Sabers, and. Girl headed dog (Mars Attacks)

The food this year was a combination of creepy alien food and food from various science fiction shows.

===================

Han Solo in Carbonite
For this year, I decided to make a Han Solo in Carbonite prior. This is one that will be kept in my house long term, so I wanted to do it right. For details of the build, I'll refer you to my post on The RPF Forum: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=245188

TARDIS
I was inspired by a few other TARDIS builds (http://www.instructables.com/id/Almost-Life-Size-Tardis/ and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BaVax0cArg). I plan to post more details about the construction, but it was built to come apart. The four walls, roof, and base are all separate pieces for storage.

UFOs
I was really inspired by this Area 51 build: http://www.instructables.com/id/UFO-Invasion-at-Area-51-20/
I built the UFOs out of patio umbrellas, then used purchased acrylic domes, plastic tubing and lots of small light kits. I'll post more instructions for those too.

R2D2
We turned a white Trashcan into R2D2 by painting. We used pop caps for the knobs, we used a tub plug for the camera sensor, and white vinyl gutter pieces for the legs.

Following will be some pictures of this year's decorations.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Props created for Halloween. The crew is also shown that helped me pass out candy and entertain kids.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Food:
His year, the food was picked as alien inspired or from science fiction shows.

Gagh: From Star Trek, I followed the recipe here () and made a vegetarian Gagh. The joke was that it wasn't fresh since it wasn't moving, if I'd had more time I would have put it on a small vibrating table to keep it moving.
Bao: From Firefly, I bought small Chinese take out boxes, printed out some Blue Sun stickers, and served pork bao in them.
Fruity Oaty Bars: Also from Firefly, these were homemade granola bars, wrapped in foil and printed labels.
Crop Circle Dip: A standard 7 layer dip that ended with cheese then the lettuce on top was done in crop circle shapes.
UFO chips: Homemade chips are easy to make from corn tortillas and cookie cutters. Spread oil on both sides, sprinkle with seasoning and bake about 10 minutes.
Sand Worm: A crescent roll dough rolled with lunch meat and cheese, egg used as glue and baked.
Galaxy Cakes / Chest Busters: Cupcakes (Red Velvet and Watermelon) with blue and purple icing and sprinkles to look like solar systems, and then pink icing with bones and a gummy worm that looked like a chest buster.
Alien Eggs: Soak Hard Boiled Eggs in beet juice for a few hours, then make deviled eggs with either guacamole or green food coloring.
Soylent Green Wafers: I used this recipe and it turned out very tasty (http://kitchenoverlord.com/2013/08/12/edible-art-soylent-green-ration-crackers/). I served with hummus and a Death Star cheese ball (blue cheese rolled in pepper and decorated with black food color or icing)
War of the Wafers: Use candy melt between Nilla wafers, attach 3 small pretzels with candy melt and/or a small silver six let as a dome and spray with silver food mist.
Lightsaber: Dip pretzel rods in colored candy melt (blue, green, red, purple, and yellow) and leave a bit of space at the bottom.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pictures of the food served at the party.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Excellent work! Nice scifi theme to all of it and I think you did a wonderful job creating the different areas on your large yard. The Hans Solo in Carbonite was a great idea! and kids of any age certainly know who Hans is and with all the Star Wars new movie coming out perfect timing too.

I watched Dr. Who years ago on Sunday nights on our PBS station. Got to see a few of the Doctors and enjoyed the early Daleks. I think your Tardis came out extremely well. I'll be curious to see your build when you post.

Have to admit that my favorite though is probably your space ship crash scene. Impressed you built two ships and just love the addition of the fog chiller with it. I love motion from props of any kind when it can be added. Plus the "torn up" yard was a really nice touch. How tall was the errect one and how large a diameter are they? Appear to be a pretty good size. Also curious what you used for the dome on them.

Fun food ideas too. Thanks for sharing your haunt and party food with us.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent work! Nice scifi theme to all of it and I think you did a wonderful job creating the different areas on your large yard. The Hans Solo in Carbonite was a great idea! and kids of any age certainly know who Hans is and with all the Star Wars new movie coming out perfect timing too.

I watched Dr. Who years ago on Sunday nights on our PBS station. Got to see a few of the Doctors and enjoyed the early Daleks. I think your Tardis came out extremely well. I'll be curious to see your build when you post.

Have to admit that my favorite though is probably your space ship crash scene. Impressed you built two ships and just love the addition of the fog chiller with it. I love motion from props of any kind when it can be added. Plus the "torn up" yard was a really nice touch. How tall was the errect one and how large a diameter are they? Appear to be a pretty good size. Also curious what you used for the dome on them.

Fun food ideas too. Thanks for sharing your haunt and party food with us.

Thanks for th kind words. The spaceships were made from 2 patio umbrellas, 9' around each. The poles were cut and I used 1.5" PVC to hold them together. The standing one was about 6' tall at the top of the acrylic dome. the domes were ordered from eBay and are basically security domes, 18" across and 9" high. The shipping from eBay was great, but they run from $100-$125 each so that was an expensive (but reusable do) piece.

John

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
I think I want to marry your haunt! Just perfect! The Tardis, Han Solo and R2D2 all look spot on! And yeah, the spaceships hit a soft spot for sure.

If you had the MST3K gang in there, you'd probably need a restraining order. Great work!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I want to marry your haunt! Just perfect! The Tardis, Han Solo and R2D2 all look spot on! And yeah, the spaceships hit a soft spot for sure.

If you had the MST3K gang in there, you'd probably need a restraining order. Great work!
They did make an appearance in my party invitation.

Attachments

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Oooh! Great composition.

(And thank your for not stoning me for putting "TARDIS" in lower case in my previous post. I don't know what I was thinking.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts