Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, there seems to be 2 camps about a Saturday Halloween.
Those who think their numbers will be up and those who expect smaller numbers.
Since the last Saturday Halloween was 2009, I don't remember, Saturday being more impactful.
I'm going with, no change, I lose the kids (3:00) going home from the K-3 school, I'll lose the young teens (like this year going to Weekend night events (Friday/Saturday), will add kids, who stay out longer TOTing., No school next day, but that would be the same as 2014's Friday night.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,767 Posts
Depending on the unpredicatable nature of our weather, I suspect it may be about the same as last year where the numbers were down compared to week nights. The noticeable decline at our house was 13-15 year olds.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I agree with you doto. Surprisingly. last year our numbers were down. Usually they are higher on weekends. But last year was a little colder too, so that might have had something to do with it. I go crazy with trying to figure out how many to buy for. I know, people are saying just close when you run out. But I hate disappointing kids, and if it's 300 I'm disappointing, it might turn into rioting. 2013, I get 900 kids. 2014, I know this is the year I can break 1,000, especially since it's a Friday, no school the next day. So just to be careful, I get 12,000 candy and LED rings. End of the night, just over 700. So now I have 500 leftovers, and a very angry hubby. So this year I don't know what to do. Like doto said, a lot will depend on the weather. But I'm ordering my toys now, and will have the candy bought in Sept.. I'm kind of planning for that magic number 1,000 again. Here's where a fortune teller would come in handy.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I never know either. Since I am doing the COnjurer's Consortium, I will have various things to give away at different sites. I will have the small printed Spell Books, and Wizard Potion booklets, the 4 Leaf CLover fortune tellers (like the magic fish), wands and candy. I am hoping to find some of the candy that Sam's here had year before last. It was little potion bottles. I usually have several hundred. It can vary from about 200 to 500.

·
aka Halloweenqueen
1,435 Posts
We were surprised how our numbers dropped last year. It was homecoming football night, so we had a sharp decrease of older kids.

I wonder if homecoming is the same weekend this year. That would make it the same night as the homecoming dance.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Where I last lived, the number of trick-or-treaters was decent for years, in the low hundreds, then they kept dropping until barely fifty showed. I honestly have no clue if candy is even passed out here, with here being a 'manufactured home community' (call it what it is, a freakin' trailer park). If there somehow turns out to be, no one will be stopping by anyhow, since I have made no effort to engage anyone and am probably (okay, definitely:D) not the most wholesome-looking person.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
When we had "Ghost-Seekers" night on a Sat. we had good attendance for that,not good at all other years when very few want to hunt for ghosts until 3am, then drive home and go to work.
Halloween on October 31st is death to good numbers because so many other things happen that night. house parties,costume contests,adult parties, vandalism
Many people stay away because they assume a Sat. Halloween will be tremendously busy--nope, just the opposite, always has been.
The Sat.night before Halloween is the busiest night of the entire year,unless the predicted weather is hideous or dangerous.
Unless the Weather turns to snow and ice that first November week, we have had very good business over the years, of course long ago most of such business were Other Haunts all coming to see mine , because I was OPEN!

·
Registered
408 Posts
We had a pretty bad turnout last year. It was a little disappointing because it was our best setup. The temperature must've been in the 20s, and we only had really little ones show up for the most part.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Friday and Saturday are the worst for Trick or Treating. Too many competing events on those days. I would be happy if they made Halloween the last Thursday in October and even happier if the moved the change to daylight savings back to being ahead of Halloween, not after.

As for Tots, I expect lower numbers this year.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I don't know what to expect this year. Last year was the first at our new house and we had about 75, but now I figure we're the "Halloween house" and maybe we will get a few more? My guess is that a Saturday would be the same as a Friday Halloween?

·
Registered
706 Posts
I'll agree I could do without daylight savings, as well without the conflicting events (like Friday night football games - come on townies, your priorities are off, bring the little fuhballers out after dark so I can chase them down the street in their uniforms).

But, at the same time, I expect Saturday to be better than last year's Friday. It was dead slow.

I'm really just glad it skips Sunday next year. Sunday Halloweens in a churchy town are the worst, as far as attendance goes.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,403 Posts
We are expecting more kids this year. We were somewhere in the 100 to 200 range. That was because we are brand new to the neighborhood and to be honest most people didn't quite understand what was going on. Set up will start 2 weeks in advance this year so that will help. Also we will be running Friday night as well so that might increase traffic.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
We had a pretty bad turnout last year. It was a little disappointing because it was our best setup. The temperature must've been in the 20s, and we only had really little ones show up for the most part.
When I said it was colder last year, I meant it was in the 50's. Temps in the 20's? Holy crap! Were there ice cycles on your pumpkins?

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
We had been holding steady at 500 for the last few years and then last year we got 600, so I expect this year being on Saturday we will get at least as many if not a few more. There's really nothing else going on around here to compete. Even the ones who go to the church events still go trick or treating either before or after.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Wow, a good night for me is 30! Since Halloween is on Saturday this year, our City Halloween event, which includes tot'ing, is on actual Halloween this year. I don't know what that will do to the numbers.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I as well expect the numbers to be down, but I only get around upper mid forty's may by upper 50 but It was down last year and yes homecoming made a difference and im pretty sure its at the same time this year

1 - 20 of 27 Posts