Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys now that it looks like winter isn't leaving us anytime soon thought it was time to start up a brand new thread for those wonderful autumn and Halloween scents to put ourselves in a nice and cozy mood.

So what are our hopes for this year's offerings from your favorite vendors?

Personally I have a lot left over from last year because I over bought but that's not gonna stop me rom doing it again this year. Especially because I love doing my own mixes.

I'm hoping to see all of Yankee Candles pumpkin offerings again. And I'd love it if someone could put out a nice licorice scent. So far the best I've come across is Witch's Brew from Scentsationals.

·
Ridin' The Storm Out
1,076 Posts
As I mentioned towards the end of last year's candle thread, I sadly discovered that I can't burn any of the Dark Candles I bought. They all trigger my allergies/headaches. Luckily, I think my best friend will like most of them, so I'll hand them over to her... Whenever I get a chance to. So from now on, my new rule is no more buying candles sight unseen... Er, well, scent unsmelled, anyway.

So it looks like I'll be sticking with Yankee, Michael's and Walmart for my immediate candle needs.

I'd also like to find a good licorice scented candle. That's a VERY autumny scent to me. I think last year Yankee had one... Maybe the Halloween candle itself? But I never got over to the big store to buy it.

And I really do wish Yankee would bring back Cafe au Lait and Macintosh Spice. Those were easily two of my top favorites.

·
Ridin' The Storm Out
1,076 Posts
Isn't it funny how certain scents can bother you while others don't?
All I can think is that there must be some underlying essence that Dark Candles uses that I'm allergic to. And even some Yankee Candles, too. If it's too perfumey, it irritates me. That's why I stick to the food scents. I desperately miss Macintosh Spice, but some of the candles at Michael's and Walmart are comparable -cheaper, too. Still haven't found a coffee one as good as Cafe au Lait, though.

I also think I'm going to have to pick up Yankee's Movie Night "man candle." It's the popcorn scented one. It smells more like the Buttered Popcorn Jelly Belly than actual popcorn, but that's okay since it reminds me of kettle corn!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I highly recommend Scentsationals Witch's Brew then for licorice. The funny thing is that Scentsationals has a licorice scent that smells nothing like licorice. It's kind of a very vague licorice but with really heavy crappy cherry overtones. Witche's Brew is pure licorice. It supposedly has eye of newt and dragons scales in it but you can't really smell those. ;)

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Question...can anyone recommend a candle that would evoke a pirate ship feel...I don't want tropical...I'm thinking more along the lines of wood, ocean, rain, anything earthy. I stumbled upon bewitching brews and wanderlusts pirate collections only to b disappointed they werent candles or home scents :(

I've thought of patchouli or sandalwood candles but not sure...

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Pumpkinpie... I absolutely LOVE Yankee Candles Witches Brew. It's predominantly patchouli with some exotic spices. You know, some of those ships the pirates are hijacking probably were full of exotic spices heading to Europe from the Far East. So that scent may be the perfect one for you! It's deep, dark and mysterious. Don't let the 'name' fool you. It does not have to be about witches... I think it could be perfect for that dark damp wood and ancient cargo feeling you are looking for. Have you ever burned one? If not, I am pretty sure I have a votive I could send you to sample.
Oh and if that doesn't work, I know Yankee Candle sold a scent called Ocean (breezes) or something like that. LOL :D

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
All I can think is that there must be some underlying essence that Dark Candles uses that I'm allergic to. And even some Yankee Candles, too. If it's too perfumey, it irritates me. That's why I stick to the food scents.
I have to stay away from some of the food scents... I swear when I am melting any Blueberry Muffin type candles that I eat twice as much! LOL Some candles should have a warning label "This scent is an appetite stimulant and may cause weight gain." hahaha

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Thanks Hilda, I think I'll order a sample and try that out...I also saw on Dark candles they had a couple with the patchouli and spices and one called coffin that smells like earthy wood...

Are YC a better burning candle, I've never tried them
I am not sure if any YC Witches Brew will be available right now, it's seasonal. I do love it but only at Halloween. It's a little too dark and earthy for me the rest of the year.
I don't know how to answer about YC being better burning. I loved them for so long, back when the original family owned the company. They were sold a few years ago and I find them very hit or miss now with everything from scent, throw, and burn issues. Oh well. The grandson of the original YC opened a new upscale candle company called Kringle Candles. I have purchased a few samples from them, but haven't fallen head-over-heels with any yet. They do have a very pure scent and powerful throw on the few I did try.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Question...can anyone recommend a candle that would evoke a pirate ship feel...I don't want tropical...I'm thinking more along the lines of wood, ocean, rain, anything earthy. I stumbled upon bewitching brews and wanderlusts pirate collections only to b disappointed they werent candles or home scents :(

I've thought of patchouli or sandalwood candles but not sure...
If it were me I'd do a mix of a dash of leather a larger dash of sandalwood a small dash of Paradise Spice a heavy amount of Ocean Side and a smidge of patchouli to taste.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
If it were me I'd do a mix of a dash of leather a larger dash of sandalwood a small dash of Paradise Spice a heavy amount of Ocean Side and a smidge of patchouli to taste.
Oooo, sounds great :) thanks for the suggestion

I did find the witching brew votives on eBay...around $4-5 w shipping

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I don't do many candles anymore sadly (with the two kids, the two cats, and now a great dane, I don't want my house to burn lol) but I do purchase scentsy. Not sure if any of you have ever used scentsy, but I love them! They usually have some halloween burners available too, and a burner of the month is usually halloween themed for october as well. Just thought I'd throw it out onto this thread with all the other good smelling things! They had some really good fall scents last time. I still have some left over, but I need some spring scents...hubs told me to just become a consultant because of the amount I spend on them hahaha. haven't done that yet...but it is tempting! also, Do you all have gold canyon candles down there? I was told those are nice scents as well, but haven't tried any myself.

·
Registered
874 Posts
scentsy works great and my friend sells them also the local supermarket sells knockoffs to scentsy

·
My other ride is a Ninja
11,008 Posts
I don't do many candles anymore sadly (with the two kids, the two cats, and now a great dane, I don't want my house to burn lol) but I do purchase scentsy. Not sure if any of you have ever used scentsy, but I love them! They usually have some halloween burners available too, and a burner of the month is usually halloween themed for october as well. Just thought I'd throw it out onto this thread with all the other good smelling things! They had some really good fall scents last time. I still have some left over, but I need some spring scents...hubs told me to just become a consultant because of the amount I spend on them hahaha. haven't done that yet...but it is tempting! also, Do you all have gold canyon candles down there? I was told those are nice scents as well, but haven't tried any myself.
I have a black burner that has skulls on it from scentsy but have to say I usually buy the knock off scentsy for it

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I have a black burner that has skulls on it from scentsy but have to say I usually buy the knock off scentsy for it
I tried to buy the knock off scentsy, but suckered back when a) the knock off stuff actually heated up enough to hurt when touched and b)triggered a migraine :( which sucks...because the knock off one had an amazing scent of fresh cotton that I tried using in my laundry room....but yeah, I got a migraine :( I've used the yankee candle melts before too which I like, but haven't found a lot of selection in those as opposed to their candles at the stores I've gone to :(

·
My other ride is a Ninja
11,008 Posts
I tried to buy the knock off scentsy, but suckered back when a) the knock off stuff actually heated up enough to hurt when touched and b)triggered a migraine :( which sucks...because the knock off one had an amazing scent of fresh cotton that I tried using in my laundry room....but yeah, I got a migraine :( I've used the yankee candle melts before too which I like, but haven't found a lot of selection in those as opposed to their candles at the stores I've gone to :(
i will have to look for the yankee candle melts

1 - 20 of 371 Posts