Halloween Forum banner

2014 Pumpkin Patch Thread

50934 Views 639 Replies 42 Participants Last post by  UnOrthodOx
Anybody started yet? Yesterday I tilled my garden and got it ready for planting. I live in south Georgia so risk of frost was gone a month ago. I plan on getting some seeds this week to go along with the seeds I saved from carving last year and plant Saturday. This is my second year attempting to grow with last year not going too well. I had a couple of pumpkins reach the size of baseballs and softballs but ended up turning to mush seemingly overnight. Crossing my fingers this year for at least a couple of good carving pumpkins this year.
Reactions: 1
61 - 80 of 640 Posts
I plan on visiting the local landscape material store this week, to get a better idea of how far a small dump truck of top soil will spread. Also, here is a picture of my ziplock seeds that germinated- just proving that a dummy can do it. :D

Plant Food Cuisine
See less See more
Reactions: 2
Well, only one of the five I planted came up, but it looks healthy! I'll start some of the remaining seeds in a zip bag and see how it goes.

Flowerpot Plant Soil Flower Houseplant
See less See more
I started some pumpkins from harvested seeds but a sudden frost killed everything I grew. I said, "Heck with starting them indoors now." so I just put them straight into the ground and two of three little beauties popped up. They are from bought seeds as all of my harvested seedlings died. Our problem here in Northern Nevada is that we really have no Spring or Autumn. We have late Winter and Late Summer. Our Spring/Autumn, if you can call them that, only last a couple weeks, then right into HOT or COLD. That being said, it CAN and WILL snow at any time of the year. This makes growing stuff tricky.
Here's my regular Jack 'O Lantern as of today:

Same ones showing their bunk mates, corn and beans.The beans were killed by another sudden show storm (in May :p ):

I got another planter box set up and planted. Store bought corn with regular Jack 'O Lanterns planted in the middle of them. Obviously those have not come up yet.

I have two more identical in shape planter boxes to set up. Those will also have corn and pumpkins, but the pumpkins will be Jack Be Little and the other one having the Big Max pumpkins. Hope they all grow. My neighbor hat didn't have any problems with squash bugs said he never buys pumpkins from the store or else he gets the bugs. They killed most of my pumpkins last year so crossing my fingers for these seeded pumpkins.

I plan on growing my corn until Halloween and having creepy lights shining behind them. Who walks behind the rows? .... Mwahahahaha!
See less See more
Just put my JBL seeds in a baggie with damp paper towels!! Yays! :D We will see if this works out for me as well as just soaking them did last year. I was kind of depressed that I only got 17 seeds in my packet, when it was supposed to be 25. :mad: I hope they all germinate, because with 8 less seeds, I will need nearly every one of them now! I have 3 other people waiting on seedlings from me, besides my own! Wish me germination luck!
Just put my JBL seeds in a baggie with damp paper towels!! Yays! :D We will see if this works out for me as well as just soaking them did last year. I was kind of depressed that I only got 17 seeds in my packet, when it was supposed to be 25. :mad: I hope they all germinate, because with 8 less seeds, I will need nearly every one of them now! I have 3 other people waiting on seedlings from me, besides my own! Wish me germination luck!

Good luck to you WitchyKitty.
This week's progress picture.
Looking good, Matt. It seems that two of the plants are pulling ahead.
Everyone's seeds/ plants are looking great I will have to take a pic of mine now that they have been in ground 2 werks
In the jack-o-lantern is a random gourd seed, and in the cauldron is one of those all-in-one pumpkin pods. The pumpkin plant is much larger than it appears in the picture. I was thinking it would be cool to have a pumpkin growing out of the cauldron, but I'm going to have to move it into the ground.

Attachments

See less See more
Everyone's seeds/ plants are looking great I will have to take a pic of mine now that they have been in ground 2 werks

With your early start on planting, I bet your little guys are growing like gang busters. I am looking forward to seeing your pics.
In the jack-o-lantern is a random gourd seed, and in the cauldron is one of those all-in-one pumpkin pods. The pumpkin plant is much larger than it appears in the picture. I was thinking it would be cool to have a pumpkin growing out of the cauldron, but I'm going to have to move it into the ground.

Your plants are looking healthy and green. You are certainly doing something right.
With your early start on planting, I bet your little guys are growing like gang busters. I am looking forward to seeing your pics.
almost thought i was going to lose them we dip down into some preaty cool temps but hopefully that dose not happen again.

here is a few of the pumpkin i will get more later of the rest :)

this is zuccine
See less See more
well this is my first year to plant pumpkins... so we decided to try some diff mixes.. i planted birdhouse gourds, small fancy mix of gourds, little jacks, and something that kinda scares me- GIANT EZ Gro Monster according to the pkg by Ferry- Morse... haha. we will see how they turn out.. havent been in the ground quite a week yet and im already seeing some break thru.... so that at least makes me HAPPY HAPPY!!! if i can just keep the nieces and nephews out of the garden i will consider it a PLUS.. they want to "SEE" but end up walking all over the plants.. LOL... not mad..... happy they are interested...
something that kinda scares me- GIANT EZ Gro Monster according to the pkg by Ferry- Morse
I would be scared also to grow something with that name. I wonder if it is a variation of the giant Atlantic variety. Please post pics of your little guys. We LOVE pictures. :D
My seeds haven't even been in their baggie for 48 hours and I already see them sprouting roots!!! Yays! There's a few that haven't sprouted yet, so I'll give them a little more time before I plant. During the day I set them in the sun and at night I set them on top of my cable box with the glass tv stand door closed...like a little incubation station, lol. They must like it in there.
I've got green!
Soil Compost Plant Sprouting Herb

These weren't up yesterday.
See less See more
I've got green!

These weren't up yesterday.

Congrats on your guys popping up. I was hoping that mine would pop-up already but no go and, they have been in their peat pots for 5 days. I am really hoping that by Sunday that I can take a picture of a green invasion. :D
Alright, my seeds have germinated and are now in the ground (and pots, for those going to different homes). Now, we wait and see if they keep up the good work and sprout!
I really need to get the mini-tiller going, because those little sprouts doubled in size overnight and the ones that weren't up yet have made their appearance. Over the weekend, I suspect I have some planting to do. After fighting with the little, useless tiller that is.
I really need to get the mini-tiller going, because those little sprouts doubled in size overnight and the ones that weren't up yet have made their appearance. Over the weekend, I suspect I have some planting to do. After fighting with the little, useless tiller that is.
Make sure to grab some good pics of your pumpkin patch. I went from 3 sprouts last night to 13 when I got home from work today. I will grab some pics and post at some point over the next couple of days when I have some good growth.

I am planning on on building a raised bed, but I am thinking that I might till the Georgia clay underneath before dumping the soil. But alas, that will be a project for next weekend. I have to finish some deck stair railing this weekend.
61 - 80 of 640 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.