Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only here can I be proud to say that I finished the wording for this year's invites.

Can the wording of an invitation be too long?

It's tough to cover all necessary info. and rhyme in just a couple of lines.

What's your opinion?

·
Registered
573 Posts
I don't think invitations can be too long. I totally get what your saying, I'm trying to think of a way to word a sign for our front door for my party so people will just come in instead of ringing the doorbell or knocking (both of which get our dog super excited and she's already excited enough that people are there who might play with her lol).

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do a sign for every function we have. I use the invitation background. It is placed in the same kind of rustic yet formal frame for any event and placed on a shelf on the wall next to the door or sometimes its hung by a cute holiday ribbon. For Halloween parties it will usually say something like, the party has started enter if you dare. I actually think people like coming in on their own and its almost impossible to answer the door everytime someone arrives.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yea that's the problem I have, answering the door for everyone. Especially since my sisters and parents invite people too so I hate answering the door and not knowing who is standing there in costume. Next year will be interesting because not only does my party fall on the 31st (finally :D ) but it is also trick or treat night so we will have ToTs ringing the door bell......might affect some of the outside decorations though cause the local high school kids will steal stuff :/

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pay 2 teens to hand out candy to the TOTs and direct your guests to the party. You could get creative with this...you could dress them as creepy butlers!!!!!!

·
Registered
573 Posts
That's an awesome idea!! Will definitely have to keep that in mind for next year!! This past year I dressed up and sat on the front porch and had fun hoping to do it again this year

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it is very welcoming when people sit on their porch or in their driveway to hand out candy. It's like they want to truly spend the night participating in Halloween! Except for those that sit outside but they are on their cells the whole time.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
573 Posts
I had so many people compliment the decorations and even got a few jumps from the older kids, totally enjoyed it. Thought about playing creepy music out on the porch but we have a lot of really young kids in our area and didn't want to scare them too badly, I did have one little boy that wouldn't walk down the front walk, he ran back down the drive way crying saying he was scared :/ I need to get some led purple and orange lights strings so they look more orange/purple then the regular light strings I have now to line the front walk. So many projects for outside this year!! Lol

·
Lady Of The Lake
2,729 Posts
What a great idea mamadada. You should for sure have someone outside handing out candy and welcoming guests itzpopolotl! This way your party won't be interrupted

About the invites. I don't think they can be to long. I think people will take the party more seriously if it has some charm and instructions. The who, what, when invites are generic and easily dismissable. I get bday invites from my kids school a few times a month. I have three kids with 25+ classmates. We can't go to them all so we go to the ones with intersting invites. It makes me feel like they are taking the time to make the party special.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok u r right BW02!! I think invitations are a lost art (for lack of a better phrase.) its just so hard to improve on the year before, be age appropriate (because they are for kids) and have everything flow and rhyme. It's hard to cram in all info. that is needed. Some of which they don't pay attention to like when u tell them to bring a blanket and 2 percent shows up with one!!!

·
Lady Of The Lake
2,729 Posts
Very true ughhh.... We just went to a party with a bouncy castle. The invite had instructions to have your child wear socks. It's a health code thing in North Carolina. Half of the kids showed up in flip flops. The host had to purchase socks at the party place for a bunch of the kids. Geeze people read the instructions!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay so i chose my invite background and will photoshop red eyes/pupils in a skeletons eyes. the particular photo i am choosing is driving me to use silver envelopes. so i was thinking of clear labels with blood red print. Is that scary or would it look like Christmas?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no green...got it! i was thinking of doing a bloody font. ive used on an invitation before but not the labels. do you think there would be any postal delivery issues. i think its roaring fire in word. some peeps handwriting is pretty bad. This font mght be neater.

·
Registered
573 Posts
As long as it's big enough to be read easily you shouldn't have a problem. If your really worried about it I bet you could prep 1 envelope and take it in to your local post office and ask if there is a problem with the font.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I can only tell people here that i am. I could never tell anyone else. since i have to pretty much do everything myself i have to get what i can done. Really.... there is less than 4 months left! come 9/1 i have to start putting out indoor decorations.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yep same here, well was until last year....my parents and sisters helped clean and stuff the week before (they all invite people soo they are starting to help) mom helps with decorations (50% of the main floor decorations are hers and the rest are mine...makes sorting them out and putting them away fun). I am completely on my own for the outside decorations, invites, and food although dad does all the grilling during the party. As it becomes bigger each year they help more. Mon even dressed up last year!! Still trying to get dad to dress up. ;)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i only realy started decorating the house more this uear as it is an outside party. its a lot easier ti decorate inside than out. Its almost impossible to make an impact outside. my back yard is a little large for a city lot and it seems like there is never enough. i try to rely on lighting but since the kiddos arrive at 5:30, its daylight and nothing shows up

1 - 20 of 31 Posts