Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 484 Posts

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, since some of us (and by some of us I mean myself) are going through Halloween withdrawal, I thought I'd start my thread for 2014. 2012 was zombies, 2013 was Universal classic monsters and 2014 will be a haunted hotel. This past year our family went to Disney and my son and I went on the Tower of Terror (Hollywood Tower Hotel) ride for the first time. Well needless to say, it was awesome, especially the decor.

I want to recreate that gothic, Twilight Zone, oddities atmosphere. This is a house party so every nook and cranny will be decorated. Please feel free to post ideas or words of encouragement.

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am already off to a good start. Mummyof5 gave me a wonderful Merry Reaper gift of some personalized Hollywood Tower Hotel items. A guest check in book and a key rack with keys. Good buddy HFer Tannasgach traded with me some items including another key rack, desk bell and envelope holder. KimandRob did a trade with me and sent me some lovely key fobs with hotel names from the Overlook Hotel, Bates Hotel and others.

Attachments

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This year I am on the hunt for gothic looking picture frames, candle holders and candelabras. Here are some of my finds. My goal will be to use as little regular lamps and bright lights as possible. When I am out searching the thrift stores, I try not to spend over $5 on an item. And I also look for anything that will look awesome spray painted black.

Attachments

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used this chest/coffin for a vampire room last year. This year I think I might use it as a bed for a skeleton. It would be funny to have the skeleton resting with pillow, blankets and eye mask.

Attachments

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last year these two busts were a big buy for me at the thrift store. One simply must have busts for gothic style decorating. I will probably leave the vampire bites. I used hot glue and painted over it. When I began to peel the glue off, it left a mark underneath. Otherwise my thought was to to have black gushing eyes. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked up a clock for $10. Couldn't resist for a hotel themed party. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. If you have ideas, let me know. I got this fun gargoyle from a Secret Reaper last year. I think I'm going to put that on top of the clock (the Transylvania sign comes off) to make it look taller. Also I might have to put it on a stand, not sure.

Attachments

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was so happy to find this little item--about a foot tall. It will look perfect on the check in desk which is going to be our bar. I would love to get my hands on a poster version of that picture from The Shining of Jack Torrence with all the hotel guests behind him. I've been looking but can't find it. I might just have to make my own. Maybe with pics of our friends in the background.

Attachments

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
I love the idea of all the low-light candleholders. Those you found at the thrift store are really cool. They sure don't look like they are made of plastic. Great find!

·
Registered
652 Posts
I think creepy portraits and some spooky papercraft items would be a great touch. You could even use something like this as a guest book.

Speaking of paper goodies, you can turn that clock you found into a 13 hour clock using one of these cutouts.

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I want to have lots of creepy pictures on the walls in our house like the attached photo. But I don't want to buy a ton of frames or put so many holes in my wall. As a work around, I've been saving images of antique style picture frames. I'm going to cut them out and then print out an image to go behind it. I think I'm going to glue all of them onto poster board. Then I only have to worry about pinning the ends of the poster board to the wall. A lot less holes!

If this is something you'd like to do for your own party, here are my Pinterest links:
Printable frames - http://www.pinterest.com/zim2/halloween-printable-frames/
Art - Anthropomorphic - http://www.pinterest.com/zim2/art-anthropomorphic/
Art - Horror portraits - http://www.pinterest.com/zim2/art-horror-portraits/
Halloween - Creepy pictures- http://www.pinterest.com/zim2/halloween-creepy-pictures/

Attachments

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A hotel theme isn't the same without some "starving artist" art. Just picked up this forest scene framed art 36x24 for a steal. I plan to paint some ghostly figures hiding in the forest. I also have a pretty cool portrait of a young girl that I plan to bloody up for the wall. Too far deep into storage for me to include a pic.

Attachments

·
The Cackling Cauldron
1,302 Posts
[I was so happy to find this little item--about a foot tall. It will look perfect on the check in desk which is going to be our bar. I would love to get my hands on a poster version of that picture from The Shining of Jack Torrence with all the hotel guests behind him. I've been looking but can't find it. I might just have to make my own. Maybe with pics of our friends in the background.[/QUOTE]

I love your idea for 2014. Is this kind of what you had in mind for the poster? if so let I'd be happy to send it if you like. tumblr_m29qfc3lEx1rpf9sro1_.jpg

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I love your idea for 2014. Is this kind of what you had in mind for the poster? if so let I'd be happy to send it if you like. View attachment 190604 [/QUOTE]

a_granger, if you can change it to Overlook Hotel that would be great. I'm not keeping strictly to HTH, kind of a hodge podge of all the famous horror hotels. Thanks so much! That's a better image than my original thought.

·
Margarita Goddess
5,440 Posts
OH I so want to follow this thread.
I recently happend upon some "paper hardware" online & am now going to figure out how to incorporate them onto things temporarily for affect.
Paper_Hardware_02x.jpg

·
My other ride is a Ninja
11,001 Posts
I was so happy to find this little item--about a foot tall. It will look perfect on the check in desk which is going to be our bar. I would love to get my hands on a poster version of that picture from The Shining of Jack Torrence with all the hotel guests behind him. I've been looking but can't find it. I might just have to make my own. Maybe with pics of our friends in the background.
I just love this

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Paper hardware? Neat! I never even thought to look for that. Perhaps that could add a decorative touch to cabinets or doors or a foam door.

OH I so want to follow this thread.
I recently happend upon some "paper hardware" online & am now going to figure out how to incorporate them onto things temporarily for affect.
View attachment 190614

1 - 20 of 484 Posts