Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped in at my local 99 Cents Only store, and was shocked to find them putting out Halloween already. They wouldn't let me into the aisle but I snuck a picture, lol

It took me by surprise since last year they didn't start putting out Halloween until mid August. Not sure if this is just my store or new policy for the whole chain, but I'm looking forward to going back in a day or two to check things out. The 99 Cents Only stores are one of my favorites for Halloween stuff

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Wow that's encouraging. I've been shoo'd from their halloween set up before too! I have to be down near mine on Monday and will run in to look for sure now. The past few years they have had great stuff.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
No question, more stores seem to be putting out Halloween items well ahead of last year, when you didn't see anything prior to Labor Day.

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
My favorite items here last year were the black top hats, the skeleton arm yard stakes, and the half-skeletons. They also had some lacy black masquerade masks that I really liked. I bought two as gifts and one for myself. Now I want more to scatter around the house.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I couldn't resist sneaking in during my lunch hour. They're still setting up, but even just with the stuff they have out already they've got some great new stuff. Check it out.

These crows are at least 12 inches from beak to tail, as big as anything I've seen at Spirit. Spirits are rubber and these are plastic, but otherwise they're the same. Comes with a stake so you can anchor it into the ground.

These huge rats are also awesome. They're not quite as big as the ones at Spirit but they're much bigger and more fierce looking that the usual dollar store rats. (They also had the normal rats in grey and black)

Looks like a good year for pirate haunters. The skulls in the first picture are slightly smaller than lifesize, however they're also plaster rather than plastic and very nice quality. In the toy aisle they also sell old-fashioned flintlock-style pistols if you're doing a pirate haunt.

In the second picture notice the mask with the long beak, this looks like it could be adapted into a plague doctor mask pretty easily.

Good selection of clown items also. Note that I found the "curly wig" (in green, red, blue, yellow, and rainbow) in the toy aisle, not the halloween aisle.

And some very nice manacles for medieval and torture-chamber style haunts. Looks like about 3 feet long.

I also saw, but did not photograph, that they had the beakers/flasks with biohazard symbols and skull/crossbones this year also. No sign of the mini-skeleton torsos yet.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Wow TMS your photos make me want to jump in my car today instead of Monday. A banner year by the looks of it for Halloween at 99 Cent Only! Definitely going for birds. Plastic isn't a deterent for me, doesn't break easily and can take the weather. I have 2 of those pirate skulls with cap I think. Are they Styrofoam? I can probably use a few more beakers/erlenmyer flasks for my science lab area. Bought them when they had them 2 years ago and assuming the brought the same ones back are nice quality and look. Love those fierce mean rats too. Thanks so much for the photo update.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
Called my store, spoke to the manager, and she said that it probably won't go out until mid-August. What! TMS you are so lucky. Maybe these stores don't have a schedule like Big Lots, Walmart, etc they have to follow and you got lucky to have a Halloween-loving manager in your area. Guess I will have to live vicariously thru your photos in the meantime and compile my shopping list.

BTW I also found out I have a second store within reasonable driving distance in San Jose, Ca, (apparently the SF Bay area has a few locations--hey @@3Pinkpoodle@@ are you aware of the SJ store?) and called it too, same story; although it sounded like this manager indicated they had their halloween boxes in but not putting out til next month. Bet my store has them in stock in the back as well.

99 Cent Only has been adding stores with the last 3 grand openings in Sun Valley, Ca; Los Angeles (On Crenshaw); and in Boulder City, NV. Worth checking out periodically. Still in the west though. Guess we have 99 Only and you guys back east have Menards, Garden Ridge/AtHome, Cracker Barrel and a few other choice ones. We do generally have better weather come halloween, not sure if that evens things out or not. :cool:

·
Registered
374 Posts
I couldn't resist sneaking in during my lunch hour. They're still setting up, but even just with the stuff they have out already they've got some great new stuff. Check it out.

These crows are at least 12 inches from beak to tail, as big as anything I've seen at Spirit. Spirits are rubber and these are plastic, but otherwise they're the same. Comes with a stake so you can anchor it into the ground.

These huge rats are also awesome. They're not quite as big as the ones at Spirit but they're much bigger and more fierce looking that the usual dollar store rats. (They also had the normal rats in grey and black)

Looks like a good year for pirate haunters. The skulls in the first picture are slightly smaller than lifesize, however they're also plaster rather than plastic and very nice quality. In the toy aisle they also sell old-fashioned flintlock-style pistols if you're doing a pirate haunt.

In the second picture notice the mask with the long beak, this looks like it could be adapted into a plague doctor mask pretty easily.

Good selection of clown items also. Note that I found the "curly wig" (in green, red, blue, yellow, and rainbow) in the toy aisle, not the halloween aisle.

And some very nice manacles for medieval and torture-chamber style haunts. Looks like about 3 feet long.

I also saw, but did not photograph, that they had the beakers/flasks with biohazard symbols and skull/crossbones this year also. No sign of the mini-skeleton torsos yet.
I see so many thing's I like in this picture!Those rats are wicked!Much better than the DT ones!I love that gold mask with the long nose.Wish I had a .99 cent only store where I live.I wanted those biohazard beakers last year.We have Just A Buck but it's not as good:(

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GOS the pirate skulls are made of plaster rather than styrofoam. They're very nice quality, closer in quality to the Walgreens/Big Lots skulls that the usual dollar store skulls, except that these are slightly smaller than lifesize. I don't even do a pirate haunt and I might pick a couple of these up just because they're so much nicer than what you usually see. Certainly they're better than a blucky skull.

This store remodeled recently, they used to have shelves you could see over, and just put in these 7 foot high shelves since the last time I was in there. So maybe they decided to put halloween out early to fill the void of extra shelf space they created with the remodel. Whatever the reason I'm happy to see it. Anyways if anyone wants to go there the store is at McClintock and Thomas in Scottsdale, AZ.

·
Registered
13,769 Posts
TMS, another question as I look over the photos...are there 2 different poses for the birds?

Thanks for the info on the pirate skulls. Think you indicated it in an early post but guess I overlooked it before posting my question.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts