Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I got in the dog house BIG. Part of said discussion, with wife doing the talking, I need to "grow up."

So, that's predicament #1, dog house...big time.

Predicament #2, see #1 and understand that I don't dare take the day off to decorate my yard.

Predicament #3, not really a bad thing, but I hop on a plane to fly to Philippines at 10 AM the following day. No time to clean up, kinda.

Stuff is all bought and/or made, for the most part. Got skellies, stones, props...

Think I may have to focus on #1 (My Wife of 27 years) instead of Halloween this year.

·
The Undead Diva
549 Posts
So sorry to hear that... I know how it is sometimes, I've been married 14 years and some days I could bury him in the back yard under the big tree, but I love him regardless. :) If you need help setting up, shoot me a PM.

I'm an AF brat/wife and know what it's like when your spouse is in the "sand-box".

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Is there any reason you have to wait until the day of to set up? Why not have it done and ready to go ahead of time? And as for taking it all down, we've done it after the last trick or treater and managed to get everything in the garage before 10 pm. Not ideal, for sure, but it beats not setting up at all.
Does your wife hate Halloween in general or is it just the time you spend on it that she has a problem with? Surely there must be some compromise that can be reached. Good luck!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, tombstones and most cheap items can go out all month. Fine tuning stuff, ie. animatronics would go out that afternoon.

I kinda tossed the idea at the lady of the house last night about still setting up. She seemed okay with it. The trip to Philippines is all pleasure. Wife and I for three weeks. woohoo:D

Dog house was self-inflicted. But learned my lesson. Have to learn some time management to mix Halloween with business/home stuff.

·
The Undead Diva
549 Posts
Well, my offer still stands if you need a little help. Be careful about putting out tombstones too early unless they are built with PVC pipes for stability. The wind that we get will make them dissapear, I learned that one the hard way. :(

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
Grow up?? Have you shown her the member list for this forum?

And I don't think any of us here are kids. I'm WAY over 12 myself !
pfft. I've been 12 for the last...maybe I better not say...

I have a feeling there was a little more to this than we know here. I do think that home should take a priority, and have had to 'grow up' in the past, and have had years I just couldn't do anything because family obligations come first. And, yeah, if you aren't going to be able to help with the cleanup...maybe it's time to reevaluate what you're doing this year.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You need to explain to your wife that this is your passion. If my boyfriend ever dared to put me in the dog house or even argue with me over Halloween he would regret that. I would explain to him that this is my passion, grow up? It's not a childish passion or childish holiday. I would tell him you started dating me knowing I loved Halloween, you cannot change me and you can't start trying now after all these years. I wouldn't change you, why would you hurt me like that? Explain to her that you love her and she loves you for you. Tell her not to change who you are, explain that tying to change a person is wrong. She need to understand that you are not choosing Halloween over her that it's not like that at all. This is a once a year event, and that she gets you all the time. Halloween only gets you once a year lol I mean don't piss her off, but get her to understand your passion. Maybe try your best to include her in it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pfft. I've been 12 for the last...maybe I better not say...

I have a feeling there was a little more to this than we know here. I do think that home should take a priority, and have had to 'grow up' in the past, and have had years I just couldn't do anything because family obligations come first. And, yeah, if you aren't going to be able to help with the cleanup...maybe it's time to reevaluate what you're doing this year.
Yes, just a tad bit more deeper than Halloween. She knows I wanna do it up good this year. Maybe, just maybe, I won't have a large amount of trunk or treats going on at churches this year. I really like the extra $$$ but really enjoy the Eve. I used to have up to 10 inflatables go out on Halloween. Past two years...none

·
Registered
680 Posts
Tell the wife your Halloween activities are one way you work off stress. So far from being childish, this is a very mature thing to do.

Plus, you could be "relieving stress" down at the local bar, strip-club or racetrack, as many others do - so she should be grateful your hobby is so benign.

·
The Undead Diva
549 Posts
Serpentia does make a valid point. I'm a mil brat and a mil wife who has worked for the mil for 11 years, and whose best friends have been mil, I KNOW what kind of trouble you COULD be getting yourself into! LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts