Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped in at a 99 Cents Only store in Phoenix today. They don't have Halloween out yet but the manager said they'll start putting it out next week, so I thought I'd start this thread so we can share sightings and finds.

For those who haven't seen them, 99 Cents Only stores are a regional dollar store. They're only located in a few states (CA, NV, TX, and AZ), but if you live in one of those states they're worth visiting, as they go all out for Halloween similar to Dollar Tree, but they often have unique items that you can't find at the Dollar Tree.

Here are some of the items I saw during my trip today that might be useful to a haunter:

These are really cool life-size flintlock pistols. Very useful for pirate haunters or as a component of a vampire-hunting kit.

These are incredibly useful for making your own dummies. Just stuff with newspaper or plastic grocery bags, and viola. You can put PVC frames inside before stuffing to pose the figure as well. If you want to get more fancy they're also useful as a starting place for making duct tape dummies.

They have a variety of astro-turf foliage in 9.5x9.5" squares, useful for making wall panels in a jungle-style haunt, or adding growth to large scale props like masoleums or crypts. They had a couple different varieties. They also had the more typical vine foliage that's also carried at DT.

These yo-yos with clear plastic sides are really easy to make into fake gauges and dials for a mad scientist prop. See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBVM1p567CQ

They also had other stuff in their seasonal section that might be worth getting now, before they clear it out to make room for Halloween, such as tiki torches and pool noodles. It sounds like this stuff is going to be gone soon based on the conversation I had, so get it while you can if you need it.

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
Oh I got all excited seeing the title and thinking they had started halloween. 99 Cent Only Stores are a great source. Been shopping there for halloween the past two years.

The coveralls are a good idea. I'll have to check them out. And glad to see they have the turf squares again. i bought a few to cover one of my gravesites last year.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I checked out the local 99 cent store on Saturday. No Halloween, and I didn't ask anyone about it so I'm glad to hear that you did, and that it should be out next week. I picked up a couple of the solar lighted rocks and a really nice quality Time Life publication called Titanic The Tragedy That Shook the World" (regular price $12.99). I also bought another Time Life publication called "Bob Dylan/Forever Young/50 Years of Song" (also originally $12.99). Of course, now that I'm old, I love Bob Dylan, but when I was a little kid I thought his voice was kinda scary!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
That's a good idea on stuffing the coveralls. Never thought of that before. After Halloween, you could just throw the whole thing away and you'd only be out a dollar. Beats storing a bunch of life-sized props for the next year.

Thanks!!

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
I miss this store so very much. There were years that I skipped DT altogether, in favor of it. Now that I live in IL, I am SOL. (how many acronyms can I fit into this message?)

I "liked" their FB page, and asked when Halloween will make it to their website. They told me September!! Then they said that I could order online and pick up at the store...so I went back to the website, and sure enough, they don't ship like DT does. *ugh* I could have cried, honestly.

Luckily, the post made it to the News Feed, and an out of state friend offered to pick up whatever I wanted, and ship it to me. So ya know I'll be stalking this thread to see what's available, and hope it's at her store, too. It's a shame that they don't ship though, I intended to make bulk purchases!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
This is my favorite 99 cent/dollar store. Besides some great Halloween stuff that the other stores don't carry, they have a bigger variety of food and even carry fresh fruits and vegetables.

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
Thanks to TheMonsterSquad I made a trip to my 99 Cent Only Store today. Loved your idea of the coveralls as a body form part. Bought 10 of the coveralls and that should get me through a number of years even if some fall part. I loved that these had zippers too. I also noticed the Solar Rocks, and picked up 3 to add to my DT collection. 99 Cent Only had a similar style solar dancing flower in as DT. Also spotted the various grass panels TMS posted a photo of.

I did ask the check out clerks if they had seen any halloween come into the back and that was a negative. Right now they had a ton of luau on the shelves. So if you missed out on it at DT, check 99 Cent Only out. Everything from bamboo tiki torches (I did a flaming tiki torch tutorial using these with a Oriental Trading Company's flaming torch), pool noodles, rafia grass skirts, to those battery-operated window alarms (there's a link to a tutorial mentioned on HF but posted on another site using these to arm your props should someone decide to pick them up and make off with them--the alarm will sound once disturbed).

Can't wait to see what 99 Cent Only gets in. It's usually different and unique enough from DT to make it a worthwhile Halloween stockup stop.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haven't had a chance to stop at a store again yet, though I should this week. In the meantime here's some steampunk-y gauges I made for a larger prop for the laboratory. These started out as Spiderman yo-yos from the 99 Cents Only store.

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
I'll have a few photos to post of the Halloween aisle still being stocked at the 99 Cent Only Store near me. The Erlenmeyer flasks are back this year as well as body parts; and zombie body parts are new this year I think. The aisle was carted off to prevent access as in prior years and I did my best to get a picture of what I could. The staff said they would open it up next week. Suspect other locations are in the process as well.

Can't wait!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My store is stocked and the halloween aisle is open. The halloween section is half stocked, there's still another long set of shelves to go, but the stuff I've seen already is pretty dang awesome. I ended up spending about $30. Many pictures incoming, I'll break this up into a few different posts.

I like these finger necklaces

Last year I was a little annoyed that all of the weapons were GITD. It looks like someone out there likes me, cause they have some more realistic weapons this year.

Last year they had bottle labels in three sizes, for 2 liters, wine bottles and beer bottles. All I could find so far this year is wine bottle labels. Hopefully they'll get more sizes out later.

Zombie limbs! Paint job looks pretty good too

Skelly torsos are back! Though for some reason they have random sprays of black paint this year

Black and gray rats, instead of just the black that DT has

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

These little figures and signs are made of metal. Pretty nice quality

These beakers are awesome. They had just clear beakers last year, this year they've added red, green and purple, and the "toxic" label is a little more realistic that the skull and cross bones. I'm doing a mad scientist theme, so I really like these. I bought two of each new color, and when I got home I confirmed they do in fact glow under blacklight.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Trying to do something new with the blucky skull I guess. Still looks ridiculous to me

I thought this was intriguing. My mad science lab is blacklight-lit, so I already have some of the green blacklight-reactive webbing, but I haven't seen the orange before.

I thought these wooden signs were really nice

I thought these were awesome as well. They're blow molds but much much better looking that the usual blucky skull

The butcher-wrapped heart looks very similar or the same as the DT one, but the brain is much thicker and bigger and looks much better than what's at DT

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some nice tombstones, a little larger than the DT tombstones

I missed this one during my first pass. They’ve got some scene setters for much less than Spirit. I grabbed three of these.

This was my favorite find. They have a bunch of monster-themed rubber duckies that are cute as hell, including Frankenstein, the Mummy, a Reaper, a Devil, and several others. I initially dismissed these as too cutesy, but on the drive home I realized how funny it would be to have a bunch of these floating in the pool during our halloween party, even if it doesn't necessarily fit the theme. So I'll have to go back to pick them up.

That's it for now. Like I said, they were still working on filling the rest of the shelves, and there were a few things obviously missing like the lenticular portraits, so I'm expecting there will be more next time I visit. I know this store is not accessible for some people, so thought I'd do detailed photos so those outside of the store's territory can at least live vicariously (if not demand that their relatives make a visit for them, lol)

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Wow, do they ever have a nice selection... They blow Dollar Tree away, particularly this year's (mostly) uninspired offerings. Pretty bad (but nice, of course) when a dollar store has nearly as much merchandise as a Halloween store such as Spirit:D

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
I'd take the mdse at Spirit over any dollars store though if it were the same price! Thanks for all the photos TheMonsterSquad!! I'm jealous. I couldn't do anything but stand there and look in. They guard this aisle like crazy until their done. Been thru it a few years already and really had hoped they were set up. Your photos however help me plan what I do want to go back for.

Nice to see the torso's still around. Think this is the 3rd year maybe. Recommend stocking up on those for anyone... for projects down the road you haven't anticipated. They are pretty good looking for a skeleton and you can't beat the price. The flasks like I mentioned are nice. I bought clear ones before and will try to remove the skull on them, just because I prefer it plain. Didn't notice any beakers. I need a few of the little heads they have for some jar projects. They do seem to have quite a bit of mdse from prior years, just like Dollar Tree. Too bad those nice portraits someone posted they got a few years back haven't resurfaced. They weren't the small ones Dollar Tree had. I always look for those in case they do come back.

Of the new stuff I noticed was the severed packaged hands. Don't recall those before and will get some of them. Assume they are spongy like the organs? Hope so. Not sure if I care for the zombie parts although I might pick up a few of the forearm and outstretched hand items. Could probably use a few of the giant padlock/chains and might pick up a couple of the rubber duckie guys for my carnival. Otherwise I think I'm pretty well set.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts