Halloween Forum banner

2012 The Mayan Apocalypse

4556 Views 11 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  matrixmom
This could also be titled "how to sacrifice your kids and get away with it"! In 2012 i went with a Mayan Apocalypse theme. It was my biggest build so far (until 2014 - Pirates). I have always wanted a pyramid, so I made one. I found a bunch of cut down wood paneling at the local Habitat thrift store for a good price. So, I bought them out and started building. The frame for the slanted sides is mostly 2x2s. The center of the pyramid is held up by construction scaffolding. . All together from base to tip is 19 feet 6 inches. Because of my neighborhood, i cant leave out any props, so the whole this is modular and came down Halloween night. People are always shocked to drive by the next morning and everything is gone.

I am a huge history buff and have always been fascinated with Mayan ruins and culture. Several years back went to Mexico, Guatemala and Honduras on a Mayan tour. While there I visited a small ruin called Quirigua in rural Guatemala. There I photographed the most beautiful Stella in the Mayan world. I tried to recreate them here for my display. First, I copied drawings of the stellas onto overhead projector film. Them I projected them onto the styrofoam. using a variety of methods including router, x actor knives, soldering irons I carved the reliefs. I then applied the carving to towers made of 2 x 2s and Masonite. Once all this was completed, I painted them.

I made the candy table out of an old metal framed gazebo that had been blown apart during a storm and thatched it with corn stalks.

I also make all my own costumes. Its time consuming but lots of fun. This one was based on pictures of Mayan kings.

Back to my secondary title. "How to sacrifice a kid and get away with it". This is George. He is my neighbors son. As you can tell, he is a huge help when building (not). But he's a fun kid and begs me for a part every year. So that year I told him he was going to be the human sacrifice. I would pretend to stab him then show his still beating heart to the crown as he slowly rolled down the steps of the pyramid. He was a huge hit with the crowds.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: 5
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
absolutely amazing. Would love to see some night shots with lighting. Great work.
Blimey, that is absolutely fantastic. I, like soundmankkc, anxiously await some night shots.
completely and utterly mind blown, fantastic work!
You are a phenomenal haunter and where have you been all my haunt life? Gobs of inspiration here.
You are amazing! This is incredible! The detail on the pyramid murals, the hieroglyphs on the stairs, the detail on the stelae...my little anthropolgy heart is all a-twitter!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.