Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
While this falls into the 'not my thing' category, I must say, that's a really awesome mausoleum, and I look forward to seeing many being built.

Who knows, there may be a technique or 2 here I can utilize into a more aztec temple motiff...

·
Halloween AA Member
1,183 Posts
That was my thought, at least cut the peices. I made the shell of my columns in the basement, and was able to get them up so we'll see.

TK421 - I see you made your frame out of 1 x 1's. I feel more comfortable using 2 x 2's, will this make a big difference in sizing of the whole mausuleum?

·
Registered
483 Posts
In preparation for the upcoming build I'm been sketching out various plans and think I'm come up with my design. I traced over the framework diagrams in the plans so the underlying structure will be the same but I'll detail it differently. I've got a small yard so I only plan on doing the front and one side with 1/2 of the roof - only what will be visible. I'll then cover the back with black fabric so you can't see through it. Here is a sketch of my design. Looking forward to getting started on this.

·
Registered
171 Posts
In preparation for the upcoming build I'm been sketching out various plans and think I'm come up with my design. I traced over the framework diagrams in the plans so the underlying structure will be the same but I'll detail it differently. I've got a small yard so I only plan on doing the front and one side with 1/2 of the roof - only what will be visible. I'll then cover the back with black fabric so you can't see through it. Here is a sketch of my design. Looking forward to getting started on this.
Wow, that's gonna be pretty awesome if you can pull it off. G'luck

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
I had already planned on building a mausoleum next year so this will be perfect timing. I don't know if I can wait until Feb. though - I might get a head start in December!
I am here to answer any ad all questions you might have and look forward to seeing your interpretation of the build. I think we'll all learn some new tricks through this process.

·
6,359 Posts
That was my thought, at least cut the peices. I made the shell of my columns in the basement, and was able to get them up so we'll see.

TK421 - I see you made your frame out of 1 x 1's. I feel more comfortable using 2 x 2's, will this make a big difference in sizing of the whole mausuleum?
I am so sorry to just be reading this now. I didn't think the "class" was going to start until February, so I hadn't been checking this thread.

If you would rather use 2x2s instead, that's perfectly fine. My reason for taking standard 1x4s and ripping them down to 1x1s was to save on cost and make the structure as light as possible so it would be easy to more and store.

Using 2x2s won't change the concept of the build, you'll just have to pay close attention to how the corners match up and how the styro overlaps so there aren't any huge gaps.

·
6,359 Posts

That is a fantastic sketch!!

I can't wait to see how it turns out. If you have any questions or wish to see alterations from my plans, just let me know.

Here are plans I am working on for a "half mausoleum" for smaller yards.

·
Registered
483 Posts
That is a fantastic sketch!!

I can't wait to see how it turns out. If you have any questions or wish to see alterations from my plans, just let me know.

Here are plans I am working on for a "half mausoleum" for smaller yards.

Thanks TK! That's just what I was thinking of doing except instead of a solid back I'd hang black fabric to block the view. To support and anchor the structure I'd have a number of wood braces screwed from the upper frame to the fence.

I might have to delay my build from the Feb. start date. I really need to clean and organize my garage/basement before I start any new projects. Since I'm only building half the structure I should be able to catch up though. I'll certainly be following along. I'm anxious to see what everyone comes up with.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I really want to do the mausoleum this summer myself. It just isn't feasible to do it in my house during the winter. I want to make it big enough for a fcg and make the walls reversible for a quick santa workshop. It's really cold here in late Oct. and I can't paint a new fascade on the outside of a cryt in time for xmas. I would really like to just swap the walls around and then cover it until Dec. It will just be too big to move again until Spring.
Also on a side note the hearse looks great but, that is also way, way, way to large and storage impossible for me. I'm hoping there will be a few small projects this year.

·
6,359 Posts
Building a reversable mausoleum/santa workshop is a good idea, but it will add some difficulties to the build. When the structure is a mausoleum, you'll want to hang black fabric on the interior to cover up the santa workship facade. Likewise, you have want to cover us the mausoleum facade when it becomes the interior of the workshop.

If you want to build the workshop with a faux door, then I would suggest you build the front and back as reversable pieces. that way, the mausoleum can have the opening so you can see inside and run the FCG. When you want to turn it into the workshop, you take the solid back panel and make it the front of the workshop. Decorated with a closed door. The mausoleum open doorway then becomes the "unseen" back of the structure.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I was thinking along that lines myself. Only part of the structure will be seen at any given time. I plan on putting it at an angle to our garage and our neighbors. So basically only the front and one side would be real clear. I was thinking of having the "house" on a piece of plywood sitting on pallets so we could just swing the whole structure around. For the mausulemum we would have an open door for the front to see the ghost that would be dimly lit. When we swung the structure back around for the work shop, there would be a closed door but, on the outside there would be a side window with a waving santa. This is all theory right now and I'm working one what I want. Like maybe doing the main structure pins to hold the walls on the each end. They would be covered by velcroed pillars that would be on each corner and cover up the framework and pins. Then I could have pilllars that had skulls and chains and then swap them out easily with pillars that are like candy canes.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts