Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Factorial!
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year I'm going to actually be prepared, work on props and have a theme! Or at least that's the plan.

THE THEME : Spiders

I have some static props lined up (no motions, the only thing I've ever built for Halloween was a fog chiller which i made to fail miserably. i underestimated the importance of the 6 inch rule but i am really inexperienced in the prop making department) for me to make. One which is in progress is a paper mache roof spider (Spider Plans)

other "how to"s that i want to use to make props are :

Mlspiders01
Mspiders01
Spiderweb Plans
Spider Prop
Spider's Victim
Spider egg sac - Halloween Forum

Voodoo's spider egg sack is just plain amazing but i want to do the sac on a larger scale like someone else did and i think the ping pong balls are to proportionally small. Any suggestions on better balls? who knows, it might work. I would love it if anyone has suggestions or can duplicate http://www.spiderzrule.com/spider308/Wolf Spider with babies 4-23-08 1.JPG (that's a wolf spider carrying her young) then would be an amazing prop to use.

I figured spiders would be a good theme to use because there are lots of easy props, it's an actual theme and what haunt can't get better with a few spiders?

Also, can anyone get me a good scare for it? If i can't find one i'm just going to have to use a leaf blower. (turn it on and the noise scares them. a surprisingly effective scare)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sounds like you've definitely got a good start. I really like the spider egg idea. You could look at a $ store for some whiffle balls if you're looking for something bigger. I just hope some arachnophobics don't show up!

·
Factorial!
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but that's half the fun! i got suggested to use foam balls but i think it might be to expensive so i'll have to shop around.

·
Factorial!
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's a "Halloween Props" folder here that may be a better place to post your request.
i thought about putting this thread there but i thought that this place would be more appropriate because the thread isn't just about the props (at least it's not supposed to be)

·
Registered
725 Posts
I picked up one of these at Toys R Us on sale: The National Geographic Online Store - National Geographic Remote-controlled Tarantula

I stuck it inside a box with a door, and labeled it Fido, placed next to my door. When TOTs would show up I would tell them to make sure not to step on Fido. They would look down at the box, and just when they would bend over to get a closer look I had him come scurrying out. Scared the parents more than anything.

I would also consider finding some sort of sound affect of "things" scurrying around. That on top of all the spiders would leave me checking over my shoulder for creepy crawlies.

·
Factorial!
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the spider is cheaper than i had expected but 25 might still be too much but i like it. i might get it but couldn't the same effect be achieved with a fake spider and fishing string?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Spider room

I love your ideas on making the web, and love it on the outside of house! So far I am just doing the whole basement with everything spiders. The large webs and battery operated spiders. The spider collections, the cocoon, and I need to make some of those spider eggs! No body is going to want to go down stairs. The beer keg for the adult party will have to be there.

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
I did a spider room. The walls were first covered in black weed-blocker cloth, then a layer of jute netting, then a layer of tattered cheesecloth and finally webs. That gives you a good 'cocoon' feeling. The entire area was lit up with two strobe lights. I had spider larval balls hanging from the ceiling plus a giant roach cocooned. I hung a 6-foot spider from the ceiling that they had to walk under. Behind the spider was an animated victim wiggling in his cocoon and finally a drop-down spider drops from above. Not super-scary but creeped as all get out.

The video I made that has the room in it is, unfortunately, my entire haunt. So FF to the 1:38 mark to see my "Spider Room."

YouTube - Halloween 2008

·
Factorial!
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'll have to try that for the walls. where did you get your jumbo spider and drop spider? (btw, great spider room)

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
I got the jumbo spider at Party America at their after-Halloween sale. The drop-down spider I got at Michaels last year. I really like that guy!

That jumbo spider has been a mainstay at my haunt. He's been used in several different ways. Here it is several years ago on the front lawn:

I have another spider too. He's one of my favorites. A tarantula that also makes an appearance every year. Here he is as the Terra Queen's pet. He is under a propped-up pallet and guards the sidewalk:

And here he is a few years back:

·
Registered
343 Posts
I was about to say the animated cocoon would be nice, all you have to do is take the cheap spider web stuff and place it around those zombie in a body bag props from Wal-mart. Either that or K-mart had a spider egg nest that shook last year. It even had baby spiders on the outside that have red LED eyes.

·
Factorial!
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Tera, great pics. I especially like the one with the tiki torches and the first one looks awesome as well. Lol, i hope that I'll be able to your level eventually.

Ween12amEternal, I can't wait either.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Here's some shots from my spider room. In 3 you can also see the spiderweb curtains. I didn't get a shot of the ceiling, but it has spiders, webs and a victim, too.

Nice video, Terra!

·
Registered
725 Posts
the spider is cheaper than i had expected but 25 might still be too much but i like it. i might get it but couldn't the same effect be achieved with a fake spider and fishing string?
Sure. But with this one you get a spider that can move in multiple directions, and the legs also move. Personally, im kind of a cheap bastard, and I wouldnt pay full price for something like this. Finding it half off was just a great scenario for me.

·
Factorial!
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if i get some cash burning a hole in my pocket i might buy the spider (their out of it from popular demand and it sounds good. i might be able to get it though)

Nice pics, i especially like the last one.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts