Halloween Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Here are even more construction photos. And to answer a previous question, the siding is made from 2x6 that were ripped down to be 1/2" by 6".

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
The award goes to...

This is the most incredible facade I have ever seen. It is beyond fantastic. The detail, the continuity, it's absolutely brilliant.

Fantastic work.

·
Imperial Hybrid (7)
706 Posts
Fun tabeleous ! That is awesome, inspiring, and just plain amazing !
Absolutely pro haunt .......
Have you heard all this before?????
Hope you get a "take" of the haunt revenues..... Wow....It sure is purty!

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
Frank, I'm very impressed with your build and your talent. Can you tell me what your budget was? I recognize a lot of the materials you're using, and can only guess you spent at least $1,000 to put it all together.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The Facade cost around 3k to make 500.00 just on the supports for the back of it. The molding and posts on it cost the most money that and 14 pieces of plexiglass for 30.00 a piece. spent about 1.5k on the pre made molding, i was running out of time to make my own. I am very lucky that my parents supportive and pay for the material.. since my friend who i help out does not spend that much money on Halloween stuff. They are also paying for my Animatronic/pneumatic prop which i have all ready spent over 3k on. 2,500.00 for the silicone, mold making, painting, resin, etc.... spent about 900.00 on misc parts like cylinders, steel, clevis, etc. will be putting about 1.5k more into it. Still need to buy 32 servo motors, 28 solenoids brick, 8 taxidermy eyes, more clevis's, air brush w/compressor for painting silicone...$500.00..... Sure adds up to a hell of a lot the prop is only about 1/6 the way done. I am fortunate my parents pay for this, they view it as education. and since i may drop out of a school in a year or two and join the movie industry they are more eager to help.

-Frank Balzer
Evil is Lurking - Reign of Terror Haunted House

·
Registered
162 Posts
it must be nice to have rich parents... I always wanted one of them.

It is a lot of work, the first thing I thought of when I saw this was, Hey Frank, would you be willing to finish my basement!!!
If I were you, and liked building things, I would get my contractor license to build houses. True, builders are not really in demand now with houses in foreclosures, but in time that will change.

I would not recommend you drop out of school, but rather go to school for what you like. Nice job.

Also, with the cost of the facade, and animitronics, are you turning a profit at all.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My parents have just enough to get by. They help me out financially because they think it is great that I have passion to follow something through all the way. My partner and I do not make money by doing this, the money we make goes to charity.

My father is a contractor, I do not wish to follow in his steps, I've seen some of the problems he has dealt with. I will continue my work doing pyro, fog, wind, rain, and rigging for the movie industry. Kinda funny before I wanted to be a firefighter and now I cause fire. I love it!

-Frank Balzer

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Since your dad is a contractor, I'm sure your cost of materials were alot less with his discounts then if we went into Lowe's and bought the same stuff so that price of materials wouldn't be accurate for us...Not that it matters because I couldn't afford to spend that much...I think it's incredible your parents support you on this kind of level and says alot about their character....I agree, I wouldn't drop out of school but rather go into something that is going to support the career you've chosen...You've proven you have a great set of skills already and these classes would only make it even better...I know it doesn't seem like it would matter at 19 but when your 30 something competing for a job, do you want to be the guy that has the extra schooling on your resume' or do you want the other guy to have it on his?.....I'll leave this with I think that is an incredible facade and I like it 100 times better than Scare Factory's idea of a Victorian Mansion facade and they are one of my favorite vendors for the amount of detail they put into things...Working for a company like that is what I think you are wanting to do in life...Again great professional job!....ZR

·
Registered
574 Posts
Beautiful work. I own a Victorian house, but I like the facade a lot better than my own house! I love that it looks spooky even in the day. I have a rough time with that, our house only looks spooky with the right lighting at night. Can't wait to see what's up for this year!

21 - 37 of 37 Posts