Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We’ve had a 500w fog machine for a while and run it through a chiller. Wasn’t happy with the output so was going to ad a fan but, hubby thought he’d fix the issue with upgrading. Now we have a 2000w fog machine which yes produces more but it just blasts the neighbourhood. Is it possible to run something that powerful through a chiller still. Would i need say an extra pipe leading from the machine to the chiller so it doesn’t travel to fast or just melt the ice? Maybe frozen bottles inside the pipe to? Also a pipe after the chiller to help slow it all down. Has anyone used a strong machine with a chiller?
Any advice or photos/videos would be great
Tia

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just spit-balling, but I'd think you would need a big trash can chiller (35 - 50 gallon type), and, have two outlets for the fog coming out of the chiller. I think if you try to 'slow down' the fog either in the chiller or the exit pipes it might just start coming out the wrong end of the chiller (not sure). Water bottles in the pipes probably a good idea too.

The other approach would be to split the fogger output into two streams/pipes, each going into it's own chiller. I have a feeling you're going to fog the whole neighborhood anyway though...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just spit-balling, but I'd think you would need a big trash can chiller (35 - 50 gallon type), and, have two outlets for the fog coming out of the chiller. I think if you try to 'slow down' the fog either in the chiller or the exit pipes it might just start coming out the wrong end of the chiller (not sure). Water bottles in the pipes probably a good idea too.

The other approach would be to split the fogger output into two streams/pipes, each going into it's own chiller. I have a feeling you're going to fog the whole neighborhood anyway though...
How would I split the fogger output?

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
537 Posts
I use Bucket and cooler chillers, but for that size, look into the trash can chillers.

For the distribution, I have a solution for you... Perforated Drain pipe! Get the accordion kind so that it packs away much smaller. Available at most any hardware store, usually black. Just block up one end and hook the other to your machine/chiller. You can even connect them together and snake them through your display.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Larger distribution (branch) pipes will slow the velocity down. You will want to keep a high velocity through your main trunk distribution pipe, then slow it down by using an over sized branch pipe. Keeping that higher static pressure in the trunk will help with even distribution through each of the branches. If you aren’t using a distribution system then dumping it out of the chiller with a big opening rather then small would be your best bet but you would benefit by adding a large diffuser to help slow the turbulence and give the velocity a chance to slow down.

Using frozen bottles may last longer but will have a reduced cooling effect. If the chiller stays the same size then you are packing the chiller with the same amount of cooling capacity, but absorbing that energy put into it at a slower rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
What brand is the fog machine? Typically a machine with that wattage should have a fog volume control. I have used large fog machines on chillers but never at full blast

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use Bucket and cooler chillers, but for that size, look into the trash can chillers.

For the distribution, I have a solution for you... Perforated Drain pipe! Get the accordion kind so that it packs away much smaller. Available at most any hardware store, usually black. Just block up one end and hook the other to your machine/chiller. You can even connect them together and snake them through your display.

When you say trash can instead of cooler, do you mean with vent tube or grate with ice on top (I guess vortex style)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What brand is the fog machine? Typically a machine with that wattage should have a fog volume control. I have used large fog machines on chillers but never at full blast
It was only a cheap one so no dials. AVE Vaperizer for $99 in Australia

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2000 is pretty big. The fire department comes to the house with a 1300. Slowing that machine down to chill would be very hard. You would have to have more then one chiller possibly daisy chained to the next.
Yeah definitely informing the fire department beforehand

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah definitely informing the fire department beforehand
I had the same issue. Every season I call the local PD and FD non-emergency line to let them know that I have fog machines going till the Halloween night. I’m glad I called, a week later an Uber driver had called it in. They advised the caller that it was a fog machine. Crisis averted...👨‍🚒

·
Registered
114 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
WOW! 20,000 cubic feet per minute output. No wonder, it runs on 240V! Yeah, I'd say run a Y pipe into 2 different chillers and keep it on short blasts. That thing could cloud an entire commercial haunt with plenty to spare.

·
Registered
208 Posts
We found our fog machine put out more fog than the chiller could handle (trashcan chiller with flexible metal vent hose about 6" diameter). So I made this ... I used a 6" wye connector. The fog machine blows into the wye and that goes into the metal vent hose. When the vent hose exerts back pressure on the wye, the bag starts to fill with fog. There is a usb powered fan at the end of the chiller that keeps pulling fog/air thru the chiller so it pulls the overflow fog from the bag. We run the fogger in short bursts and the fan is on constantly. Our chiller is a plastic trash can that was sacrificed for the greater good.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just checked out your machine, looks similar to a Antari 800. Is it a continuous fogger? If it is, one thing that you can do is if you are good at hacking, you can add a cheapie programmable timer (they run about 8 bucks) and hack the remote. Program the timer for 3/4 of a second off and 1/2 second on and loop it. I have to do this for DMX foggers, even at their lowest setting they sometimes put out too much fog for the application, but I do it in the lighting program. Using this on/off sequence would give it the illusion that it is constantly running but at a reduced rate.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
537 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=trash+can+fog+chiller+
but you can use any large container
I'm guessing the height and volume of a typical "trash can" (or as us Aussies say 'rubbish bin') helps contain the large amount of fog giving it time to cool.
I have smaller fog machines, so I use either the small cooler, or 5 gallon bucket where the fog is forced directly over the ice. This provides maximum contact. I've never built a larger one, but the plans I've seen for the Trash Can cooler involve tubing coiled through the trashcan and then surrounded by ice. It does not have the direct contact, but does not impede the flow of the fog as much. Direct contact vs indirect will affect the rate of cooling, how quickly the ice will melt and the speed at which you move the fog through the chiller.

'Cooler' chiller: https://www.instructables.com/id/The-Ultimate-DIY-Fog-Chiller/
(Bucket is same concept, just in a 5 gallon bucket with lid.)

'Trash Can' Chiller

·
Registered
394 Posts
I had no issues cooling a 2000 watt fogger. In fact I cool down 2 2000 watt foggers. I do use a 25 gallon (I think) black trash can. It’s in my profile pictures. Better start collecting ice from ice maker at beginning of the month. I typically go to twice the ice and get bulk ice. I use 8 48 quart coolers when I go get ice. It lasts from dusk till around midnight and will still have ice in them when I dump them out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would try running it through a garbage can chiller and see if that helps. I find that with my 1300, it still puts out a LOT of fog, sometimes too much and I have to dial it back to shorter bursts at longer intervals. I run my fog machine just sitting right on top of the garbage can, through a U shaped pipe and then into the garbage can where it just settles through the ice as it cools and then out the bottom of the trash can. I'd try using a timer of sorts with shorter bursts and longer intervals and see if you can get what you are wanting. Here's a rough picture of my fog chiller without the lid...
fog_chiller.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts