Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know. The first response is don't try it. But, has anyone used a higher voltage power supply on a wiper motor before and if so, how did it work?

I picked up a power supply from Good Will today for $2 and for that, I thought I'd give it a try. Its 20vdc, 4.5 amp, 90 watt.

Curious if anyone else has had any luck?

·
Registered
263 Posts
it honestly wont hurt anything, probably will get a little warm so i would keep an eye on it. if anything test it out and see how it goes. wire in a fuse so you dont burn your house down.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it honestly wont hurt anything, probably will get a little warm so i would keep an eye on it. if anything test it out and see how it goes. wire in a fuse so you dont burn your house down.
That's kinda what I thought. Back in my lowrider days, guys would run almost 100vdc through a 12 volt hydraulic pumps. Yes, if you worked them too hard they would burn up but for what I am trying to do, Im guessing it will be ok.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A low amp draw with a regulated 20V shouldn't cause any problems. Worst case would be burning the motor out, 'course if you put 220V through it the motor could burn UP, not just out :D

Depending on the application, heat from the motor may or may not be an issue, but simply wiring in a resistor could drop the voltage to where you need it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Any Idea how much current you'll need a couple of amps through a simple linear regulator is a pretty easy build, or you could try to get a dc/dc converter from ebay like this one:

http://tinyurl.com/kyatbvm

Motors, depending on the quality of the motor, can get real hot when run over voltage

Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts