Halloween Forum banner

1st party. Want to make it the BEST!

2588 Views 18 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  Mandathewitch
Hello! I'm so glad there is an entire forum for "crazies" like me that start planning for Halloween early on...since like November 1st!?

So this year will be my first full-blown Halloween bash. I have a small space and most of my friend's are not into Halloween like me, so I'm having trouble deciding what kind of party to throw.

The theme I am toying with is definitely ghosts/haunted house. I am thinking of something along the lines of "true love never dies" So I somehow want to incorporate love and ghost into the them. This is where the struggle starts. What should be my theme be? I don't know if I should even have a theme/costumes guest should adhere to since they are not into it like I am.

As you can see, I'm very confused! Any suggestions for what route I should take and what themes I could use? I'm open to ANYTHING that's haunted house/ghost themed. Thanks!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· STARK Raving Mad
933 Posts
Ok, this may not be a very popular opinion, but it is based on our 13 years of Halloween party experience.

Our first few parties were NOT themed and BARELY decorated. Looking back, I believe that was actually for the best, since we only had a handful of guests (6, then 10, then about 20). If we had put lots of time, money, and effort into building a theme, creating a back-story, decorating, etc, and only had 6 people show up, we would have not only felt like complete failures but might have decided not to have any more.

By our 4th party, we started doing more decorating, and we had almost 40 guests.

Now, some of you may say that we had more guests because we decorated more, but nobody knew how much we had decorated until they arrived.

The fact is, our efforts grew in response to our turn-outs. By our 5th year, we were averaging 50 - 60 guests, and maintained that number until 2007 when we suddenly shot up to 150. Coincidentally, that was also the year of The Pirate Ship - our greatest decorating effort to date.

So, to summarize, decorate, but don't worry about making it "the best". Just make it fun. Being "the best" will come in time.

Oh, and we always tell people that they do NOT have to follow the theme, just that they have to be in costume. The theme just helps those with little or no imagination decide what to be by narrowing down their options.

· STARK Raving Mad
933 Posts
Themed parties are really fun. But they're also hard to put together. If you follow some of the advice here --which would result in a very cool party-- you'll be putting a TON of effort into just decorating. Which is fine, but might be a bit much for your first Halloween party. -Karen
Well said.

Our 2004 theme was the wedding of our two main back-story characters (Lord and Lady Bydingue), and the party was the wedding reception. We even had a genuine wedding cake (made by my good friend Scott Powell). Our invitations were our standard 6-page newsletters, but we had considered using something that actually looked like Wedding Reception Announcements.

Click here to check out the invitation, cake, and our RENTED costumes. Yes, I said the "R" word. We were out of town the 2 weeks before the party and never finished our home-mades.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.