Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I tried my very 1st clay sculpt today. While in my mind it was only practice, I had fun doing it. Even though, it turned out to be much harder than I thought it would be. My neighbor (the Art teacher) thinks my clay was too wet. She also gave me some constructive criticism which I totally agree with.
But since it was my 1st, I thought I would share it with my fellow haunters. I have already started over and scraped it about ¾ the way through it. I decided that my neighbor was right the clay was too soft/wet. I will try again next week once the clay has some time to dry out a bit.

·
Registered
440 Posts
OctoberDream: Your first try is sooooo much better than mine was! A couple of things that helped me when I got started was printing out reference photos that I could then draw guidelines over to check proportions (such as are the irises in line with the corners of the mouth etc). I moved pretty quickly to clay from Monster Makers too. It's a bit more pricey but you can use it over and over and I found it more forgiving when it took me a while to get a sculpt just the way I liked it. My water-based clay always dried out before I could finish a sculpt no matter how much I misted it and covered it.
Anyhow, great start!! Can't wait to see the next one.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good start!
A lot of the time it's useful to start with clay that's on the soft side to block in the rough shape, then let it dry a bit so you can go in with more refined shapes and details
Agreed. My neighbor basically said the same thing. I plan on trying again this weekend.
The plan is block out on Fri night then details on Sat night.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I feel very unorganized this year. I have been bouncing back and forth between projects not getting very far with any of them. So I decided to take another whack at sculpting. This is my 3rd attempt, I think I am getting better.
I am not sure if this one will be the one I use or not. The idea was to make a duplicate of my head (size wise) to see if i could use it as a model for a Halloween make up ("Face off'" style). It was just an idea. I did not plan it out very well, But I think I can make it work. I was going to fire the clay then use paper Mache to make a mask. I don’t have the skills or the budget to make my own life cast so, I thought this would be the next best thing. Again it's just an idea. The clay i got for free so I thought I would try. My 1st attempt was not very good. The second was more of what I thought I looked like. This one is a little closer. And yes they are an old pair of my glasses. I wanted to see if my proportions were close.

·
Registered
426 Posts
LOL, I agree with punkineater, except I don't need to imagine...my first attempt at sculpting DID look like an ashtray. :p Keep up the great work.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, something went wrong. :-( I am not sure what, but as I was leting my clay project dry and every thing started to crack.
Do I have any hope of fixing this? Or is this my new door stop?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mr.C,
I was hoping you would respond. I was going to PM you but didn't know if you would remember this thread.

When I started the process I didn't think about the armature inside too much. I used a block of pink foam (kind used for tomb stones) wrapped in tinfoil.

Is this something I can fix? or would it be best to start over?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hi OctoberDream,
I am sorry to see your sculpture crack. I have been there myself and it is frustrating. If you are using normal air dry pottery clay try wrapping it in moist paper towels and a plastic bag. It wont get rid of the cracks but the moisture will reconstitute the clay slightly enough to patch the areas and complete your work. I do this at the end of each sculpting session regardless. Because of the state the clay is in It will only buy you a day or two working time, but hopefully it will be enough so you do not lose everything.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts