Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:This is why I love vintage Halloween stuff versus most of the new Halloween crap. Take a look at this vintage 1977 wolf mask by Franco. It is very, very detailed. Back in the seventies these type masks, and others like it, were sold in retail stores across the country at Halloween. Ask yourself... when was the last time you saw a mask at a Halloween Spirit or any other store, that could even closely compare to the quality of this one. Boy the quality of today's retail Halloween masks has certainly decayed over the years. It's very sad. But at least the old masks are still out there for us to find and buy. I am very proud to own this one.:eek:

wwwww.jpg wwwwww.jpg wwww.jpg w.jpg

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,469 Posts
That's a nice piece. Fortunately, there are some very good mask makers still out there who produce high quality and well detailed pieces. Death Studios is one. Darkside Studio is another.

http://www.midnightstudiosfx.com/index2.htm also produces high end superbly detailed masks. You're right in that the retail stores most of us are used to carry very average stuff. The older vintage pieces rock!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's a nice piece. Fortunately, there are some very good mask makers still out there who produce high quality and well detailed pieces. Death Studios is one. Darkside Studio is another.

http://www.midnightstudiosfx.com/index2.htm also produces high end superbly detailed masks. You're right in that the retail stores most of us are used to carry very average stuff. The older vintage pieces rock!
Yes artists like Paul Daniel make some killer masks but I am talking about retail store masks. This Wolf mask could be purchased in stores back in the 70's, but nowadays the talented mask makers, like Paul, don't really sell their masks in retail stores. I wish they did. I remember as a kid I loved going to stores like Lionel Leisure City (a toy store in the 70's) and being amazed at all the masks and decorations they had at Halloween. Not so much so these days. :eek:

·
Halloween Elitist
2,877 Posts
That's an awesome mask sandman and its still in great shape, beats the heck out of the one I bought retail at Halloween City

·
The Minister of Macabre
952 Posts
I'm right there with you sandman, today's mass produced masks are terrible and the selection from big Halloween retail like Spirit and Party City are a joke. Fortunately, today we have companies like Trick-or-Treat Studios and Ghoulish Productions that make great mass produced masks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
A great Wolfman mask. Certainly worthy of the game. And one I
would display year around.

My favorite mask is an old Don Post.

You're so right in what passes for Halloween decorations in our
modern stores...it's just so "ho-hum". No excitement.

And that is, for me, what is so outstanding about this forum... the
props we see here are SO exciting. Stand out stuff. Some of the
most amazing props I've seen in my life, I've seen right here.

But it isn't just the props. It's the conversations, the ideals shared.
This entire forum is built around Halloween. I know that not everyone
is like us, or can even begin to share our passion. But this is what
excites me.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm right there with you sandman, today's mass produced masks are terrible and the selection from big Halloween retail like Spirit and Party City are a joke. Fortunately, today we have companies like Trick-or-Treat Studios and Ghoulish Productions that make great mass produced masks.
Yes they are pretty bad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
7 Participants
sandman78
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing