Halloween Forum banner

17 day pep talk needed

2K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Ugly Joe 
#1 ·
So here I am.... 17 days from the best day of the year and I can't get it going at all.
I have a lot of ideas and I set up our pirate hanging post, but I don't feel very Halloweeney right now.

I don't want to let the TOT's down. The Neighbors love our house and enjoy coming to visit, but I can't do it, Captain!

It's bern really busy with work and we just got finished with our school production, so I'm a little fried.
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

Help!

#2 ·
You sound like you need a nice day of napping, zoning out and just relaxing. Maybe take this coming Saturday as a "do nothing unless I want to" day? And then rev up the motor for Sunday and put out enough stuff to make you happy (and the kids too) but don't feel bad if you scale back this year. We all have varying levels of spirit in any given year, and sometimes you just need to take it down a bit so you can come back really strong next year! :D

But seriously, take a day off from all your commitments and pressures and just be a little lazy and give yourself permission to rest and recharge - I'll bet it will help!

#3 ·
What Frankie's Girl said - relax a day, maybe watch your favorite scary movie or Halloween appropriate one (or two), cook a nice meal, just take it easy. Next day if you feel up to it, survey with clear eyes your props, pick your favorites, just think what you might do with them. A display does not have to be 'perfect' - but have heart and you excited about what is in it.

#4 ·
I agree with the above. That makes three.

Have a day where you honestly relax - no obligations, just easy time. Wake up when you want.
Wanna pass the time?

Listen to Halloween music.
Read a Halloween novel.
Eat a cider doughnut for breakfast, or have a mug of warm cider.
Watch a good movie, one you love.
Nap.
Hang out with a friend and drink a pumpkin ale, or a good Oktoberfest beer.
Find one thing you'd like to do well in the display, be it colonial lanterns, a better tricorn hat, frock coat buttons, etc. Google it, find it on pinterest and follow it down the rabbit hole.
Rum and sea shanties.

Most of all, let your mind wander, dream, relax and sleep.

#5 ·
I hope you find your Halloweenie Mojo soon. I've been getting mine on for the past few months.. but as I've come this close, I think Im about to reach the same point as you have. Being tired all the time doesn't help at all! I work afternoon shifts, so broken sleep and tons of chores before work kill the "spirit" so to speak, but I try to get at least one thing done per few days.. even if it's just a little thing... and I Pinterest tons! I do it on my break, on my phone while Im sitting in my truck, waiting for the "breaks" to go. I have so many ideas, Im rather overwhelmed.. but I am trying to just get a little done here and there.. but mostly when Im home.. I try to rest! I will pull out all the stops the week of. Here in Australia, we don't set up too early.. and mostly people don't do anything bar buy sweets, thats IF they get into the spirit. It's very low key... except my yard! which is usually bursting.

Please Mojo "Spirits"... give RottenJack back the energy and Halloweenie vibe we all love to see. ;)

#6 ·
I haven't done anything all week because it's too damn hot in the garage after I get home from work. I've decided I would rather just let my work pool up until Saturday morning when I can start early while it's cool and get a lot more done.

#12 ·
Relax on Saturday then Sunday Commit the first 30 minutes to doing some sort of decorating. Alot of times it is mearly the act of getting started. But commiting just 15 to 30 minutes might spark the rest of the time.

Dont miss out on something you love because you are doing other stuff you don't.

Maybe You need to spend Friday might youtubing other haunts to get you motivated.

#15 ·
Just quit your whining and get to work. If you cared about letting down the kids and the neighbors, you wouldn't be on here boohoooin about it, you would be bustin your keester to get it done.

Just say you don't want to do it....we'll understand....but there shouldn't be any whining in Halloween until somebody scares the crap out of ya!!!

#16 ·
Thanks for all the words of encouragement. (and those which are meant to get me to move my a%^)
I enjoy the fact I can come to a place that tells me like it is. I have a few dasy off so we are heading to our cabin up north, but I'm going to come back a day or two early and get my rear in gear!!!

Good to hear from those who understand.

#17 ·
There's a dream (nightmare, really) we all have (we, the lunatic haunt enthusiasts), where it's Halloween and there is nothing set up. No candy to give out. You see the Trick or Treaters coming up the street, or they're already at your door, and you are totally and completely unprepared. It's that "Oh No! How did I let this happen?!?" feeling...

I don't know if that's motivation for you or not, but I always get a laugh out of it myself - my worst nightmare is not having Halloween. Perhaps it is for you as well?

...and always remember, even our half-assed efforts are usually more than enough to provide a wonderful, overwhelming experience for most Trick or Treaters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.