Halloween Forum banner

Do you find these portrait prices fair?

• No, they are expensive

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Yes, the portraits have fair prices.

• No, The portraits are underpriced.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, because the portraits are badly done.

• No, because shipping is expensive.

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Yes, but I wouldn't buy something that expensive.

• Yes, but nobody is interested on paintings.

• No, the canvas is small

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
APRIL 23 2012: I'VE JUST LOWERED THE PRICES OF MASTER GRACEY'S AND GHOST LADY'S PORTRAIT TO 50.00 $ ONLY ONE DAY LEFT I WON'T RELIST. IF YOU'RE INTERESTED IT'S NOW OR NEVER! THANKS!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320889318809?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649#ht_1041wt_1189
SINISTER ELEVEN GHOST LADY

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320889308726?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649#ht_1001wt_1189
HATBOX GHOST PORTRAIT

and one that I'm still selling which is Master Gracey, price now has lowered from 100 to 75$

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320888537859?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1586.l2649#ht_500wt_1204
MASTER GRACEY PORTRAIT

They are all oil on canvas portraits, approximately (may be taller) 16"x 20" (Width x height) In feet it's about 2.3 feet tall and 2.5 feet long. Only the Master Gracey Portrait includes frame, and this will be the last time I list him. The other two don't include a frame.

If you have any questions or would like to negotiate a lower price, PM me or send questions through ebay. Items ship from Tempe, Arizona (except the Master Gracey Portrait).

Oh yes, moderators can close the "Master Gracey portrait for sale..." thread down there, I'll be posting info regarding him and other portraits HERE.

:D:DThanks for looking!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made them and I only used the one with the frame the other two were stored and I recently found them again and decided I could sell them. I got much more paintings. You could say they are used because I painted them 3 years ago, but never hung them anywere except for the Edward Gracey one. If you need to know anything else, do ask.

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
I'm not much of a painting person, can't do it myself, and certainly am not a Disney fan by any stretch of the imagination. They do appear to be quite well done, and I would be interested in seeing more of your work, especially if you're able to recreate a 'sideshow poster' style. That would be something I, personally, would be more interested in buying.

However, I do feel the need to express some concern with this particular set of portraits.

These are unlicensed reproductions of Disney characters/portraits. According to copyright laws, this very well may be illegal. Especially where, by your own description, they are reproductions, and not something inspired from, or transformative in any way. I'm not expert, but it's a huge grey area, and historically fan inspired art, as such, is not supposed to be sold. That's not to say you won't find a buyer, and might not be pursued, but the reality is there is a very real potential for it. I'm not familiar with the Ebay rules, or the particular category, but you also seem to be listing them in a Disney collectible category, which further clouds the fact that these are not Disney productions, but your own creations.

http://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2010/05/13/the-messy-world-of-fan-art-and-copyright/

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not much of a painting person, can't do it myself, and certainly am not a Disney fan by any stretch of the imagination. They do appear to be quite well done, and I would be interested in seeing more of your work, especially if you're able to recreate a 'sideshow poster' style. That would be something I, personally, would be more interested in buying.

However, I do feel the need to express some concern with this particular set of portraits.

These are unlicensed reproductions of Disney characters/portraits. According to copyright laws, this very well may be illegal. Especially where, by your own description, they are reproductions, and not something inspired from, or transformative in any way. I'm not expert, but it's a huge grey area, and historically fan inspired art, as such, is not supposed to be sold. That's not to say you won't find a buyer, and might not be pursued, but the reality is there is a very real potential for it. I'm not familiar with the Ebay rules, or the particular category, but you also seem to be listing them in a Disney collectible category, which further clouds the fact that these are not Disney productions, but your own creations.

http://www.plagiarismtoday.com/2010/05/13/the-messy-world-of-fan-art-and-copyright/
Well, thanks for the great heads-up. I tried to be clear in the description, but I'll make the suitable changes so it is clear this is fan-inspired art and not exact reproductions (because they aren't) the last thing I want is to decieve a buyer or to give untrue descriptions about the item (I'm more of a buyer than a seller myself and I wouldn't like to buy something I thought it was different) I had it on Disney Collectibles because when I look for Haunted Mansion stuff (fanmade or licenced) I find it there. In fact i believe I saw another seller who sells reproductions of Master Gracey's portraits on the same category (unlicenced) but know that I've read how this might be some kind of piracy, I'll change the description. This were originally done for my haunt (never intended to obtain money from them) but never used them, and now that I'm leaving to college I'm starting to sell stuff. Long story short, thanks for the info, heads-up, and advice. I also placed the poll up there because I wanted to be fair with the buyers (in case this stuff was overpriced, I really don't know).

·
Registered
594 Posts
Those are cool. Not jacking your thread just want to give you a selling perspective. I sold this painting (same size or larger on canvas) for about $80.00.

As you can see it’s an interpretation of the Hatbox Ghost in a bowler from the attraction. Mansion fans are super particular about related art. Most are looking for rare Big Figs and pins. I know how much time goes into painting a portrait and think your price reflects your time and skill. Unfortunately, the price of art is subjective to the buyer and often is lower than what the artist feels fair. I like your portraits and hope they sell for your asking price. Keep sharpening your skills and painting, it’s looking good.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are cool. Not jacking your thread just want to give you a selling perspective. I sold this painting (same size or larger on canvas) for about $80.00.

As you can see it’s an interpretation of the Hatbox Ghost in a bowler from the attraction. Mansion fans are super particular about related art. Most are looking for rare Big Figs and pins. I know how much time goes into painting a portrait and think your price reflects your time and skill. Unfortunately, the price of art is subjective to the buyer and often is lower than what the artist feels fair. I like your portraits and hope they sell for your asking price. Keep sharpening your skills and painting, it’s looking good.
Thanks! I have improved my skills, I did that portrait when I was 15, I'm working on new ones for a future haunt and they look way less clumsy as the ones I'm selling. Yours looks really cool I think I had seen it before. Did you do it with spray paint or an air gun? Because it looks really smooth. Thanks for your opinion BTW.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Ghosthost, If they don't sell now I would wait till around Halloween great buyers market around that time:) Cheers
Yep you're right. I just wanted to save some money for the Lullaby prop, but I guess I'll have to do something else to get that money.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts