Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Powered by Unicorn Blood
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be possible to take the 12V from the Computer Power Supply (CPS) and run it through a security light motion detector. I would like to use the motion sensor as a trigger.

·
Registered
623 Posts
All you need is a relay with a 110V coil . Just hookup the relay coil to the sensor and run the 12V through the relay.

·
Powered by Unicorn Blood
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man, I knew you'd be the guy to answer me this!

So Mr, Wookie...can you give it to me a bit more in Lay Man's language. I see a lot of "relay with a 110V coil" on the web when I google it...some as much as $60...So for the Garage/home haunter with less than 36 days to setting up...what my solution?

·
Registered
623 Posts
You can get a relay from Radio Shack for $10.99. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049721

Or my favorite store for electronic parts All Electronics for $1.75. http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/RLY-453/120-VAC-RELAY-DPDT-12-AMPS/1.html

All you do is connect the wires that go to the light socket in the sensor to the coil inputs on the relay. Then connect one of the wires (lets say the +) from the 12v power to the COM connector on one side of the relay. Then connect the positive wire from the prop to the NO (normally open) connection on the same side of the relay and connect the negative wire from the power supply to the negative wire on the prop.

There is a simpler way of doing this if all you want to do is supply power to the prop when the sensor is triggered. Just connect the prop to the power supply and plug the power supply into one of those light socket plug adaptors screwed into the sensor's light socket. Of coarse this only works if you're only trying to power this one prop.

·
Powered by Unicorn Blood
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok just to clarify before I plug this thing in and hope for the best....

I am using a section of a power cord with the female end cut off.

Attachments

·
Powered by Unicorn Blood
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
then the positive wire from the 12V supply to the Common on the relay and the positive from the motor to the Normally Open terminal on the same side of the relay...? Then just connect the Neg's together.

Attachments

·
Registered
623 Posts
So I connect the black and white wire to the Coil terminals on the relay...?
Ok, you have a black, white and green wire on the cord that goes to the wall plug and a black, white and red wire on the sensor. Connect the black and white wires on the cord and sensor black to black and white to white. Just ignore the green wire, there's no ground on the relay or sensor. Connect a piece of white wire (just to keep the color coding consistent) to the white wires you connected. Connect that white wire to one of the coil terminals. Connect the red wire from the sensor to the other coil terminal. The sensor is now setup to activate the relay.

·
Registered
623 Posts

·