Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of interior car black lights. They are hard wired to a cigarette lighter plug. I'm not going to use them for my car. I'd like to use them for accent lighting in the home.

Does anyone know how to wire these up to plug into 120v?

·
Registered
30 Posts
All you need is a 12v power supply rated to handle the current that your blacklights require. Depending on who made them, if they're neon, CCFL or LED and their length is going to determine how much power they pull. Some can be as little as 300ma, others pulling a full 3-4 amps per lamp.

Radio Shack has various 12v power supplies, all the way up to a 25A unit. They can be had a little cheaper from various online electronics retailers.

If it's going to be a one night thing, the easiest way to go is simply use a 12v battery from your car, tractor, motorcycle, etc. Even at a few amp draw, a car battery will last MANY hours.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Fry's electronics should carry an adapter to take 120VAC to 12VDC with a cigarette outlet. Radio Shack used to carry one, but I don't see it on their webpage.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you have a DMM, you can easily test what the current draw is by putting the meter inline with the positive (or negative) wire between the adapter and the light.

As DD mentioned, various places sell the power supply with the lighter adapter built right into it. I'm always budget minded and those adapters are an absolute ripoff (typically). 1A power supply for $25, meanwhile you can buy the same thing with pigtails for $14. That's certainly the easiest route to go, however.

·
Registered
543 Posts
That price is a ripofff. I got a 12V 1A unit from Frys for $9.99.

They are having server problems at the moment, but I got the FCP-1000.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 10 of 10 Posts