Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I have a 12v ac 5rpm motor I need to power. Would I be able to use a spliced cheap extension cord?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Splaash is correct - the cord is much less of an issue than the power source. Your wall outlet is 120 VAC. If you need to power a 12 VAC motor, you'd need a transformer. You can buy them online for about $10. As long as you step down the the correct voltage, a spliced extension cord would work fine.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
I bought some of those motors by mistake once and found that out when I plugged it into 120 volt AC---**POOF** !! I later found some 12 volt AC adapters at electronic goldmine.
Just checked and it looks like they don't have them anymore.
Maybe try E-bay? As a last resort, I think I have one left I could send you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well of course I went ahead and used the extension cord before I waited on the reply from my thread. Like Dave just replied poof. I'm assuming I blew out the motor. Thank you Dave for the offer but I think I'm just gonna go with a dc motor. Appreciate the feedback. Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
Find a cheap 12v AC adapter (I found a couple at Goodwill) and splice the wires and connect a CCTV camera power connector. I find this the easiest way of doing electrical connections. I use this type of connection with all my wiper motors. Just make sure you know which wire is hot.

Cheers,

CS

---

1 - 6 of 6 Posts