Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've got two of these I use to light up my columns and I like using them to illuminate but only for something up close. I played around with them when I first got them and I'm not sure they are effective as floods. Being 10W, they obviously aren't as bright as a typical 100W flood and the light itself is definitely more on the cool temperature side. They are also a bit more directional in how they cast light. The color changing feature is nice and gives you some flexibility - however I found that only 4-5 of the colors were actually usable with most being unnatural for a Halloween palette. The color fading and blinking was kinda clunky and more of a gimmick. If you need them for floods you'd probably be better off with the 20W or 50W versions.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
You can't compare wattage of LED's with standard incandescent or halogens. A 10W LED is actually pretty close to the amount of light from a standard 100W bulb. That's one of the big advantages of LED's, lots of light from a small amount of current.

·
Registered
706 Posts
You can't compare wattage of LED's with standard incandescent or halogens. A 10W LED is actually pretty close to the amount of light from a standard 100W bulb. That's one of the big advantages of LED's, lots of light from a small amount of current.
Yes the rule of thumb with the LED bulbs is a 3 watt = 30 watt Incandescent, 5 watt = 50 watt, 10 watt LED = 100 watt incandescent.
The LED's have a very low current draw and will out last the incandescent by a country mile.... but you all probably know that ;)
I bought a bunch of 5 watt LED's and are using them around the house..... they are ok.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got two of those exact ones recently, and I agree with camsauce. They're decent for the money, but I don't think they're equivalent to a 100W flood light. Maybe like a 60 watt flood. In theory maybe a 10W LED can drive as bright as a 100W flood but I don't think these ones in particular are that bright. I don't think they're a bad purchase, but don't expect to flood a yard with light using just a couple.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
In all honesty, you're not gonna flood a yard with light from a couple 100W incandescents either. That being said, you're right about not all 10W LED's being equal. A lot depends on the reflector and the quality of the LED.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Also remember that a "10W RGB" light is usually 3W each of red, green and blue LED chips (still one overall LED package).

So while it may be close to 10W on white, it will be less on colours.

That said, putting a colour filter (gel) on a white light reduces the light output markedly too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Also remember that a "10W RGB" light is usually 3W each of red, green and blue LED chips (still one overall LED package).

So while it may be close to 10W on white, it will be less on colours.

That said, putting a colour filter (gel) on a white light reduces the light output markedly too.
That's a good point, and in the future I'll probably buy single-color floods for that exact reason. These RGB ones are good when you don't know what you need, but once you have some colors selected a single color flood is much more efficient.

·
Registered
126 Posts
One thing to be cautious of with all these Chinese-made RGB LEDs is the memory retention. This particular light states "MEMORABLE & SEAMLESS: the color remains on your previous setting when turned on again. With the provided remote controller, all it takes is a click of the button to enjoy different colors/modes of lighting." which, to me, means if you unplug it from the power source or turn off the power switch powering it, it reverts back to the default behavior. I've been round and round with this problem for 2 years now.

Last year, I was able to find some round 5W RGBs that do, indeed, keep the last color they were on when your timer shuts everything off. I'll link them below. This is important if you have 20 or so of them and don't want to be running around your cemetery with the remote every night. I know these aren't the same but wanted to make sure everyone knew that most of these kinds of lights don't work as we'd like them to.

https://amzn.com/B009UZD81Y

·
Registered
575 Posts
One thing to be cautious of with all these Chinese-made RGB LEDs is the memory retention. This particular light states "MEMORABLE & SEAMLESS: the color remains on your previous setting when turned on again. With the provided remote controller, all it takes is a click of the button to enjoy different colors/modes of lighting." which, to me, means if you unplug it from the power source or turn off the power switch powering it, it reverts back to the default behavior. I've been round and round with this problem for 2 years now.

Last year, I was able to find some round 5W RGBs that do, indeed, keep the last color they were on when your timer shuts everything off. I'll link them below. This is important if you have 20 or so of them and don't want to be running around your cemetery with the remote every night. I know these aren't the same but wanted to make sure everyone knew that most of these kinds of lights don't work as we'd like them to.

https://amzn.com/B009UZD81Y
Thanks for posting that - I somehow hadn't even considered that problem. What do you use the 5W leds for? Lighting up individual props/tombstones?

I was looking at some led floods on Amazon and although most reviews are generally positive, I did notice negative reviews that mentioned some of the issues described in this thread.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks for posting that - I somehow hadn't even considered that problem. What do you use the 5W leds for? Lighting up individual props/tombstones?

I was looking at some led floods on Amazon and although most reviews are generally positive, I did notice negative reviews that mentioned some of the issues described in this thread.
Yep. I've played around with them a bit and now think I've come up with a really cool look using them. I took out the "lens" which makes it a spotlight. By doing so, it makes a really nice perfect circle of very soft light...amply eerie for lighting up Halloween stuff. To make them weather resistant after removing that lens (which I had used silicon on before to waterproof) I added a piece of clear mylar over the hole and screwed the cap over it. Here's a pic before I put the mylar on them all. I need to get a picture of one in the dark. I use the Hubbell/Bell stake lights that you can get from Amazon or one of the big box stores at Christmas.

27909115343_b4bca17646_k.jpg

·
Registered
60 Posts
I picked up 4 of these last year and was impressed. I set the color with the remote and was able to remain locked in as I had all of the lights on a timer.

image.jpg

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I decided to get 3 of them. I'll let you guys know how they turn out. I plan to start putting my display up next weekend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts