Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an annual Halloween backyard movie for the kiddos. I have been using an old sheet hung with some EMT to project on and the image is...blah.

Anyway, I am a photographer in my other hobby life so I have this 36' x 107" roll of white seamless background paper that I use from time to time and I thought why not use about 5' of that to project on.

I cobbled together a 96" x 55" frame out of the straightest 1" x 2"s that the big box store had. I used 18 gauge brads and wood glue to put everything together. I also added plenty of bracing.

For the trim around the face I use 1-1/2" lattice moulding. I drilled holes about every 15" and used 1" drywall screws to attach.

I added 2 eye bolts and 2 6" lengths of chain to the top because where I hang it, that works best. There are many ways you can attach it though to fit another scenario.

I put everything together and sprayed it with a good quality flat black.

After it dried for a couple of days, I took the trim off the front and I stapled the paper into place one edge at a time and then put the trim piece on and moved to the opposite end and did the same. Stretch the paper as you go to remove wrinkles.

The finished size is 93" x 52" (107" diagonal).

You could probably use a good quality bed sheet if you don't have any paper that large. A roll of seamless paper is about $90 so buying one just for this is not cost effective. Photography stores might sell you a piece but I am not aware of any that will.

Anyway, I'm not too good at the tutorials but maybe I have provided enough inspiration for anyone else that wants to do a similar project.

·
Disney Inspired
840 Posts
Looks very professional! Thanks for the post. If people knew how easy this was, I am sure more people would do it.

We use a blackout curtain that can be purchased at any fabric store and attach it to a PVC frame at movie time. When done the screen folds up, the PVC disassembles and it all can be put away for easy storage. Folding the fabric does create wrinkles and folds, however if you have a good projector, they disappear when the light hits it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I look at the blackout material and the cost of that alone was more than I spent on the wood for this one. I'm sure it would look better but I already had the paper on hand so it was a no brainer for me. But, yes, if one wanted to, they could use this same technique and use the blackout cloth and maybe even hinge it so that it had a smaller footprint.

·
Registered
2 Posts
if you are planning on making a screen you can check google for carls place the have a deal for 10#'s of scrap material for $10 I bought a box and it had 4 pieces in it 2 (5'x9') 2 (12'x6')

·
Disney Inspired
840 Posts
Yeah, I ended up getting mine 50% off with a Joann's coupon.

I look at the blackout material and the cost of that alone was more than I spent on the wood for this one. I'm sure it would look better but I already had the paper on hand so it was a no brainer for me. But, yes, if one wanted to, they could use this same technique and use the blackout cloth and maybe even hinge it so that it had a smaller footprint.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Awesome. I have always wanted to build a giant drive in movie screen myself. Myself and the mrs love the drive in and we
have 2 within a hour of us and we love to go. One for Halloween purposes is a great idea ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the info about the paper. I was looking for something to cover a window (from the inside) with so I can project onto it. This will work easily and can be just rolled up for the next year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts