Halloween Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1 Day Till Halloween!
10/30/2013

I can already feel the post-Halloween blues comin’ on. I listened to about all the spooky stuff that I could, but I’m not sure I caught enough old (or new) scary movies. Maybe I can catch a couple more of those this weekend. I caught 1960’s “House of Usher” on TCM, watched a Hammer or two, and the “Evil Dead” remake was pretty intense. Also watched some non-traditional Universal horror … “Mad Made Monster”, “Cult of the Cobra”, “Tarantula”, and all the “Inner Sanctum Mysteries”. Still would like to squeeze in a “Bride of Frankenstein” or something like that.

Today, I’m still catching up on some 2013 stuff … first up from yewknee …

Yewknee 2013 mix … “Potions and Brews for Countless Horrors”
A good mix, but some of it was a little too lighthearted. The mixer is consistent with his pattern of picking fairly modern and obscure tracks … the only one I recognized was Goblin’s “Witch” – an EXCELLENT choice. (Speaking of … is it just me, or is one of the fishtank fish in the movie “Finding Nemo” sounding a lot like the voice heard at the beginning of Goblin’s “Witch” during Nemo’s initiation ceremony?)

Halloween Hits – Dan Augustine (2013)
Nice, nice mix. Some Karn Evil 9, plenty of familiar songs (but maybe not familiar to a younger crowd?), good variety. Looks like I got the “separate tracks” version …I might have to see if there’s a mixier version out there. Has an excerpt of Anton LaVey’s “Satanic Mass” which gives me the shivers. If you haven’t gotten his mixes yet, get them soon at www.halloweenhitswebsite.com. They disappear until next October.

Elvira – Halloween Retro Classics Mix Volumes 1 & 2
Wish I knew more about this … I have no idea if these are “real” releases or not. No track listing, but I recognize most of the songs from various 50’s / 60’s collections. Songs like “The Shadow Knows”, “Screamin’ Ball”, “Jekyll and Hyde”, “The Monster Hop”, etc.

Elvira’s Halloween Chilling Cheese Mix Volumes 1 & 2
Again … was this an “official” Elvira release? Not sure. It has some fun stuff … Bobby ‘Boris’ Pickett’s 1993 song “It’s Alive”, Aqua’s “Halloween”, AllStars “Bump in the Night”, “Doin’ It In a Haunted House”, several songs by Elvira and some by Creepy Clyde … it’s all cheesy 80’s and 90’s pop. There are a few nice movie quotes here and there, which add to the mixiness. On Volume 2, we get “The Vegas Vampire”, “Attack of the 50-foot Woman”, “Killer Klowns From Outer Space”, Voltaire’s “When You’re Evil”. After all the old 50’s and 60’s stuff I’ve been hearing, I have to admit that these two collections are terrific representatives of the 80’s and 90’s and way better than I expected.

Halloween Blues
Another forum member shared this with me. There are a few tracks I haven’t seen before … Scatman Crothers’ “The Thing”, Julia Lee’s “Scream In the Night”. Also some familiar stuff … plenty of Screamin’ Jay, Bessie Smith, John Lee Hooker. It’s mostly 30’s – 50’s blues and big band. 44 tracks … over 2 hours … makes it a very solid collection.

Tomorrow’s the day! I have no idea what to listen to tomorrow … I feel like I’ve heard it all. Even the stuff I love to listen to … the oldies, the ghost stories … I don’t know if I need to hear them all over again.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts