·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
Hmmm.
That looks too good to be true. It says you plug it in to a standard (I'm assuming 120v) outlet.
You're lucky to even find a power cord for $1 these days.
You might want to call your local HD, give them the in-store SKU number (1000006840) and see if they have any in stock to look at.
All of my lighting is moving to 12v DC, or I'd probably be really interested.
I'm not sure that UV LEDs are capable of fully replicating a standard, fluorescent black light yet, but they're probably close enough.

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you go through checkout it says item is no longer in stock. My guess is they have it on the website just so they don't have to keep re-listing it every year and the $1.00 might just be a default.

Yes too good to be true. I think they are usually $12-$15 in season. And they are very good. I went around after X-mas last year and bought them on clearance for about $5.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Comparing that light, to their outdoor home accent led lights, they look identical except the outdoor ones have a ground stake, and are much more expensive. A trip to HD is in my future, so I will compare the 2 if they have them in stock, and definately pick up a blacklight version. I'll report back unless someone already has down the footwork.

Edit: And there we go. Thanks Jason for the insight. Got a quick question, if you've tried, to place the light further back, does it have less lighting effect, and a better uv effect? There may be a sweet spot between blacklight and purple light. I know the single led finger lights, the blue one, does an ok job at fluorescing at about 10 feet away (any further it slowly diminishes) and the sweet spot is close to 6 feet away. Any closer and you get a bad "hotspot".

·
Registered
221 Posts
You know, I never did play around with the positioning of the light. The scarecrow is about 8' tall and I probably had that light back 4'-5' from the base. The lettering on the sign is that Rustoleum glow in the dark UV paint and as you can see, it didn't glow at all.

I think the other difference between the indoor and outdoor besides the stake is that the outdoor ones had a rubber protection over the swtich and maybe a gasket around the lens.

·
Registered
880 Posts
The problem with the purple uv LEDs is they emit around 400nm (wavelength of the light). The "good" uv LEDs you are looking for emit around 365nm.
FYI people generally can't see uv, the better a source is the more it causes your prop to glow (you should only be able to see uv when it's color gets changed by bouncing off a fluorescing object.). If the source appears dim but your props light up real well, it's a quality better light. Trivia for the day...

Short answer for Icepick, moving it further back won't change the color the bulb / led puts out.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The problem with the purple uv LEDs is they emit around 400nm (wavelength of the light). The "good" uv LEDs you are looking for emit around 365nm.
FYI people generally can't see uv, the better a source is the more it causes your prop to glow (you should only be able to see uv when it's color gets changed by bouncing off a fluorescing object.). If the source appears dim but your props light up real well, it's a quality better light. Trivia for the day...

Short answer for Icepick, moving it further back won't change the color the bulb / led puts out.
This I know. As I said it creates more of a hot spot when it's close. I didn't even imply that the color would change. Lol. The light that I was talking about also wasn't advertised as. Blacklight/uv light. It's a blue fingertip light from the dollar store, that have enough uv in it to fluoresce on fluorescent items.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input everyone.

Sounds like if the mythical $1.00 black light were real, it still wouldn't be worth getting it because it wouldn't make stuff glow.

Stay creepy y'alll! ;)

Chuck

·
Registered
37 Posts
haha JasonB5449 that is awesome! Im going to have to do something like that this year. The lights dont look bad either

·
Registered
880 Posts
This I know. As I said it creates more of a hot spot when it's close. I didn't even imply that the color would change. Lol. The light that I was talking about also wasn't advertised as. Blacklight/uv light. It's a blue fingertip light from the dollar store, that have enough uv in it to fluoresce on fluorescent items.
No offense intended, from your question it appeared you were asking if the blue would minimize and uv effect become more pronounced.

>"Got a quick question, if you've tried, to place the light further back, does it have less lighting effect, and a better uv effect?"

I was just passing along he would still need more of the correct color, backing up would only make both dimmer (assuming the light had any <370nm output.).

·
Registered
557 Posts
A lot of "black" lights are just purple bulbs and have no effect. I don't know how many I've bought that were like this. LOL.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
If you go through checkout it says item is no longer in stock. My guess is they have it on the website just so they don't have to keep re-listing it every year and the $1.00 might just be a default.

Yes too good to be true. I think they are usually $12-$15 in season. And they are very good. I went around after X-mas last year and bought them on clearance for about $5.
I put ten in my cart and it said there weren't enough in stock to ship. I kept lowering it all the way down to one and that worked. Then I raised it to two and that worked so I placed the order. I got a tracking number so we'' find out in a day or two if they actually get here. I don't hold much hope for them but $2.16 (free shipping) for a couple of purple spotlights isn't a bad deal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I ordered 30 of them , all of which was placed in my CART and then I paid for them . ( FREE SHIPPING ) and then it said that they were not available . I did a search on HALLOWEEN items and the real price for them is as follows ( view picture )
Now , I am waiting to see if my CC gets charged the $1.00 each , or the $16.48 each .... HD really needs to get their site straightened out !

$30 verses $494.40 is a MAJOR difference

Noname.jpg

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Got mine today. I ordered two and they came in tow fairly large boxes strapped together. Believe it or not, there were four in each box, so I got them for 26 cents each! Home Depot definitely needs to get its website and online ordering system fixed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts