What you learned and will do diffrent for your party in 2018
Hello there, is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Halloween Town
    Posts
    10,655

    Default What you learned and will do diffrent for your party in 2018

    So this year what did you learn or what do you plan to do different for next years party ?


    For me I have decided to go smaller we had over 75 people this year it has grown over the last 11 years and I think it is time to trim it down. 2018 my plan is to only have around 20 its hard to visit with everyone when you are the host and there is 75 people there lol

    I also do knot think I am going to decorate my whole property I will do the party area and if anything outside my covered porch

  2. Remove Advertisements
    HalloweenForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Springfield,Mo
    Posts
    2,719

    Default

    Yep learned that lesson a long time ago...i used to b so consumed with numbers...the more the merrier right...WRONG!!! 20-25 is the perfect number, much more than that u work your tail off and have no time for guests...plus food and drinks r a little easier to both prepare and pay for with a smaller crowd

    As for us we didn't have a 2017 party so I'll go with what I learned from 2016 ONLY USE FLAMELESS CANDLES LOL

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Halloween Town
    Posts
    10,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinpie View Post
    Yep learned that lesson a long time ago...i used to b so consumed with numbers...the more the merrier right...WRONG!!! 20-25 is the perfect number, much more than that u work your tail off and have no time for guests...plus food and drinks r a little easier to both prepare and pay for with a smaller crowd

    As for us we didn't have a 2017 party so I'll go with what I learned from 2016 ONLY USE FLAMELESS CANDLES LOL
    I so agree
    I have also do not want to spend my summers decorating time to shrink what I decorate

  5. Remove Advertisements
    HalloweenForum.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    At the edge of the Universe
    Posts
    1,091

    Default

    First I want to say we really appreciate being one of the many at your party Saki... I wish we had be able to stay longer.

    I agree smaller can be better. We have no control over how may beyond the size of the venue we rent. We do a potluck party for our geocahcing group and this year we guesstimated there were around 120 attendees.... NO WAY as a host was I able to say more then a hi to most of them.

    Delegate when and where you can. It can be hard to let others do things you really feel you should be doing but let it go and let others have the fun of doing it. We happen to have someone who loves being a social butterfly so she runs the welcome table and the costume contest for us freeing up lots of time. Others watch over the buffet table and the refill the punch bowls. Thank the gods for those who come to help set up and stay to clean up. OK I still have trouble letting others pack up our things. So many things don't get packed away right or I don't have an idea where something now is and in the end I have to go through everything and repack it but at least it's at my leisure and not racing to clear out of the rental.

    Last don't sweat it... too much. Most people have no idea what's missing, not working right or at all. It's really hard to not get freaky when you realize the big foot prop isn't moving or the lights on the oversized candles have a blown socket, or we forgot the Mr Brain prop at home Yiks and people are arriving. Nobody was aware they weren't working or missing but me and Frog. There was plenty of eye candy for the them to see, lots of great food and 119 other people to distract them.
    Never allow waiting to become a habit. Live your dreams and take risks. Life is happening now.

    pinterest - https://www.pinterest.com/karpntails/

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ashburn, Virginia
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Well...our numbers were smaller than in previous years and we didn't have too many people in costume. Still a successful party, but not as big as what we've had in the past. And I don't know that I'm pleased with that...I kind of like having a larger party. I think we've decided to take a year off just to let people have a year to do something else, because I think that's what caused our smaller numbers. I think people have attended for a number of years so they went elsewhere. When we come back in 2019 I really want a strong theme, and I want a fresh element to the party.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Halloween Town
    Posts
    10,655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
    Well...our numbers were smaller than in previous years and we didn't have too many people in costume. Still a successful party, but not as big as what we've had in the past. And I don't know that I'm pleased with that...I kind of like having a larger party. I think we've decided to take a year off just to let people have a year to do something else, because I think that's what caused our smaller numbers. I think people have attended for a number of years so they went elsewhere. When we come back in 2019 I really want a strong theme, and I want a fresh element to the party.
    you know I say I want to go smaller but honestly not sure I can lol I love to go big to I have a year to think on it . I am one of those people the saying fits go big or go home lol so it may still go big lol
    and as I think about it people understand when your the host you are all over the place I might do my party earlier in oct this next year I do know I have started a saving account that each pay check a little goes into my Halloween fund so when time comes there money is there

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ashburn, Virginia
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saki.Girl View Post
    I have started a saving account that each pay check a little goes into my Halloween fund so when time comes there money is there
    That's actually a very smart idea. I have a line of credit from Halloweentown national bank(also known as Capital One) that I use for Halloween purchases only. And it has a decent limit so it keeps me from going overboard.

  10. #8

    Default

    I need to decorate the front room a bit better because everyone ended up in there after dinner because it has the most and the most comfortable seating.

    I missed turning on a few candles right before everyone got there because I was also cooking. Didn't even notice till after people started leaving. I need to make a checklist of what to do in each room an hour before guests arrive.

    Next year I am going to have music planned out rather than just telling my husband to put something on or whatever.

    Other than that everything went really well!

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    375

    Default

    That happened to me too..... I had a couple of small alligators in my swamp whose eyes lit up red .....forgot to turn them on!!! actually quite a few things were forgotten and were not turned on. Next year I plan on turning stuff on the morning of the party. Most things like battery operated candles/ tombstones etc the battery will last at least all day if not longer

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ashburn, Virginia
    Posts
    590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malicious View Post
    That happened to me too..... I had a couple of small alligators in my swamp whose eyes lit up red .....forgot to turn them on!!! actually quite a few things were forgotten and were not turned on. Next year I plan on turning stuff on the morning of the party. Most things like battery operated candles/ tombstones etc the battery will last at least all day if not longer
    Yes, as a general rule of thumb I always go around 3 hours before the party and turn all of the little bits on. All of the outside lights are set on a timer so I don't have to worry about anything outside.

  13. Remove Advertisements
    HalloweenForum.com
    Advertisements
     

 

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •