Your pics of the skellies look great! You post pics by clicking the pic icon next to the smiley face - and then it asks for computer or url....if they are on your computer, click that and open the program and choose the pic. PM larry if you having more trouble.
Hey DM - dont worry - check every now and then for Costco skellys. Someone will post a brand new thread saying something like: "costco skellys are here!" and then you will know. They had them here in FL @ end of July beginning of August I think. Also, you can call them weekly and give them the item number and they check it. Thats how I found out about mine.
I used exterior paint and sealant. My mast has lasted for 5 years so far. It does rain in TN, but I only keep my display out for two weeks. I also put small blocks of wood at the bottom of the mast to raise it off the ground so it won't soak up rain from the ground. I used foam to fill in the top to prevent rain from dripping inside and making the mast soggy.
Actually those tubes were from some covering for the roof, not carpet. But thanks for the idea on the carpet rolls. I will prob have to buy pvc for my masts, since it rains, I dont want the mast to slowly go down with ship!! haha
Thanks for the info on the tubes. I never had them before but boy are they tough to cut too. How have they withstood the rain (if it every has rained on you)? Thats something I always have to contend with here, thus why I dont have alot of animatronics.
This is the best method I've found for securing the legs to the body.
With my first attempt, I just screwed "T" joints to the plywood. This worked pretty good, but I had to put several screw into each joint.
With the second spider, I glued angles and straight pieces together and screwed them into the top of the plywood, then put a second piece of plywood on top of that. This sandwich method works great and is very strong, but doesn't allow for much adjusting.
The third spider had the glued "axel" joints, but I held them in with "U" bolts. This way, if I need to change the angle a bit, I just loosen two knots, rotate the axel, and tighten everything back up.