came up with this idea playing around with some pipe insulation...
You will need
Length(s) of foam pipe insulation
Sharp Knife (I use the Dollar store retractable knife)
1. Take your length of foam
2. Extend the blade on the retractable knife
3. Cut 1/4 inch pieces off the end
4. cut though one of the pieces
5. link through the two other pieces
6. continue cutting and linking pieces
From a 4 inch piece of one and half inch insulation I got an 11 inch length of chain. As this normally comes in 3ft lengths that will yield a length of chain 8ft long.
Obviously, the larger the diameter of the foam insulation the longer yield of chain you will obtain.
Finally glue the cut links so links don't come unlinked