Halloween Forum banner

How can I make a new lantern look old and rusty?

9K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  One eyed Mick 
#1 ·
Thoughts? I need to get this done soon.... it's a brand new red lantern, but I wanna rusti-fy! Ain't got no need to justify my inability to rustify.

#4 ·
If there is a Michael's Craft store in your vicinity, you can pick up a Sophisticated Finishes Rust finishing kit. It is a two part system that is easy to use and makes real rust. You paint on a base coat of a gray iron pigment, then when that is dry, you paint on an activator coat. Repeat the applicator to vary the amount of rust in certain areas. You will have an authentic real rust finish in about two hours from start to finish. I'm sure it is available elsewhere too.

Eric

#6 ·
I have used the Sophisticated Finishes Rust System extensively and am very pleased with the results. It can make plastic items look like rusty metal. They also have a green and blue patina to represent other finishes.

Here is an example of the finish on N scale model railroad equipment. This is from the blog of a friend of mine, who got me interested in the rust finishing system.

http://www.amoskeagnorthern.com/v2/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=22:modeling-articles-and-how-tos&id=69:weathering-with-sophisticated-finishes-rust-kit

Eric

#7 ·
I do it the down and dirty way.
I use the burnt umber acryllic craft paint and mix it with sand. I then brush this on the plastic and let dry. Then I dry brush metallic silver acryllic craft paint for highlights.

It looks very good. I posted pics of a plastic withes cauldron and lanterns I made if you search the forum.

#10 ·
That turned out great! I have a couple of new black colored lanterns that I want to "Distress" like that. I think I will try a combination of flat red and grey paint on them and see how it looks....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.