Halloween Forum banner

Using Little Tikes Outdoor Play Toys as Halloween Props

Static: 
154K views 82 replies 29 participants last post by  Tasty Brains 
#1 ·
I recently posted a thread about repurposing Christmas blowmolds to Halloween use, and I started adding some pictures of Little Tikes toys I had repurposed as well to the end of the thread ~ However, they are a different item altogether, and there are so many possibilities with them, I thought I would make a new thread.

Many holiday decorators who like to use blowmolds in their displays, also have an affection for incorporating Little Tikes outdoor play toys as Halloween decorations: ride-on toys, teeter-totters, swings and playhouses are very popular, and usually very whimsical. However...

**ZOMBIE BABIES**! (I put that in caps to grab the attention of any reader who prefers the darker side of decorating.) ;)

I was thinking that with the recent popularity of zombie babies that there are endless possibilities for repurposing Little Tikes toys for those darling little zombie children to play on. Using spray paints for plastic in dark colors, screwing on spiders, skulls or severed body parts ~ filling a cart with decapitated heads, etc. You could really creep up these usually whimsical items. That said, my Halloween display is geared toward the tiny TOTs, so my use of them is definitely in the whimsical style. I just wanted to put the 'creepy' idea out there.

See less See more
#4 ·
(I already posted these in my other thread, but probably should have started a new thread for the Little Tikes items instead. Sorry for the double post.)

Here's a little quick and pretty much FREE repurpose I did this week. My husband picked up a really dirty and ancient Little Tikes Cozy Coupe from the garbage. I had a ghost with a broken base (which we cut off), and used pieces of a broken totes lid for accessories. I used a blowmold lollypop to make the Taxi light for the top. My little one and I picked through a bag of leftover Halloween toys and he decided on the bat 'rear view mirror' and the spiders. I even had most of the paint. Just had to buy a can of primer and some twine for the spider web.

Furniture
Grass Vehicle Electric vehicle Machine
Yellow Personal protective equipment Headgear Cap Helmet
Motor vehicle Yellow Vehicle Car
Yellow Plant

...and yes ~ the TAXI light even works! :D

#42 ·
(I already posted these in my other thread, but probably should have started a new thread for the Little Tikes items instead. Sorry for the double post.)

Here's a little quick and pretty much FREE repurpose I did this week. My husband picked up a really dirty and ancient Little Tikes Cozy Coupe from the garbage. I had a ghost with a broken base (which we cut off), and used pieces of a broken totes lid for accessories. I used a blowmold lollypop to make the Taxi light for the top. My little one and I picked through a bag of leftover Halloween toys and he decided on the bat 'rear view mirror' and the spiders. I even had most of the paint. Just had to buy a can of primer and some twine for the spider web.

View attachment 115307 View attachment 115308 View attachment 115309 View attachment 115310 View attachment 115311

...and yes ~ the TAXI light even works! :D
This reminds me of the Disney movie 'Halloweentown" love. it. Brings back childhood memories!

#8 ·
LOL I don't display the zombie children (yet) ;)... but I have ideas just spinning in my head how cute some of these Little Tikes items could be converted for them.

I'd never get that out of my daughters hands.
:) You'll have to be patient. Some day she'll grow out of it. At this point, my husband is onto me... I keep buying Little Tikes stuff for our four year old and he says 'You just really want to use that in the display." LOL

G
#13 ·
Oh I love those!!! It seems like everry weekend I am 5mins too late to grab one of these playhouses but I need one, I am thinking total witch conversion and I have 5 witches to have in the soriety house HAHAHA

#15 ·
Totally great stuff! We had a lot of little tykes stuff when our boys were small. Never even thought of using it for Halloween props. Good ideas!

#19 ·
Thank you everyone for the positive comments. Hey ~ anyone else who uses these types of items as props, please jump on in and show us yours!! :D

The little tykes stuff doesn't get stripped down since it is colored all the way thru right???? Is there any treatment to them before painting them other than cleaning?
Right ~ It doesn't get stripped. However, you need to get any old stickers off and really scrub the heck out of it. Use as strong a cleanser as you have to try to get any mold or grease off. I like to go over them really well with those Mr. Clean magic erasers too. The surface of these just eat up those magic erasers! LOL Sunlight or spotlights will carry through the original color and a lot of the spray paint colors just won't cover it, so I have learned to use a primer first. Otherwise, you really still get the original color showing through.

I am a big fan of Krylon Fusion for plastic spray paints, and use their spray primer as well. I asked someone who has painted those Little Tikes houses, and they say you don't need any special treatment prior to painting. I haven't had any problems with paint coming off (knock on wood). Except ~ unfortunately, they do seem to scratch pretty easy. I try to be more careful with storing them, like throwing an old blanket over them and not putting items on them that will scratch too bad. (I'll pile foam pumpkins on top of them before I would pile pieces of wood.) Even with that one downside, I think they are still worth it.

#18 ·
Here is a crash scene I have used for 3 years using on old Perego Gator my wife trashed picked. Power wheel type vehicles are always being discarded-usually sun faded or broken but free is free! Would be awesome to have a yard setup 5 or more power wheels with little monster prop drivers in them like a mini monster gang!
I love the Halloween taxi cab and I hadn't thought of using old plastic kid houses as a prop--if I find one maybe a retooled version into a Hansel and Gretel candy house (make it pretty and cute) and then couple it with a scary witch, fire pit cauldron and kids in a cage!
Grass Lawn Soil Plant

#20 ·
Here is a crash scene I have used for 3 years using on old Perego Gator my wife trashed picked. Power wheel type vehicles are always being discarded-usually sun faded or broken but free is free! Would be awesome to have a yard setup 5 or more power wheels with little monster prop drivers in them like a mini monster gang!
I love the Halloween taxi cab and I hadn't thought of using old plastic kid houses as a prop--if I find one maybe a retooled version into a Hansel and Gretel candy house (make it pretty and cute) and then couple it with a scary witch, fire pit cauldron and kids in a cage!
View attachment 115414
LOL I love it!! Poor skelly!

Yes! I think a LT playhouse is going to be incredible for a Hansel and Gretel theme!

#24 ·
For preparing stubborn paint surfaces, real TSP (not TSP substitute) is the go-to for completely cleaning off a surface. The TSP itself needs to be rinsed off well, and it's also a bit toxic. It is, however, pretty much the only thing that works without using a million paper towels for surfaces contaminated by really bad things like silicone.

Pre-emptive apologies if this is someone actually on the forum. :rolleyes:

Last year I saw on some Christmas building show a family (I think it was Granddad and Granddaughters) building a gingerbread house. I don't know what kind of paint they used (tempera?!) but it came right off in the rain overnight. Worse, they had used real cookies and gumdrops on the side, which the wildlife promptly ate the moment they looked away.

The next morning they were baking more cookies and repainting it with the same paint...

I think plastic is probably the best solution in the long run :D

#25 ·
Xane,

Thanks for the suggestion of that cleaner ~ I've never heard of it before, but I see it's available at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. I'll have to keep that in mind for really ugly projects.

I saw that exact episode you described!! I wondered about the 'real candy' on the house. I think they obviously knew they were making a one-time use prop, and seemed to be under an extraordinary small timeframe to get it done . LOLOL Eh... the little girls looked like they had a good time even with the racoons taking off with their 'decorations'.

Thanks for your input. :)

G
#27 ·
Well I wont spoil what I am creating over here for this years big suprise scene but I will say I took boring Little Tykes chairs and amped them up for the scene! Heres the before and after. Now you just got to wonder what I am up to over here :)

Here they are in a big lot of molds I scored this month for Christmas

Here they are new and improved minus some edging work I need to finish:

Oh and I think the twins will love these when I am done with them :)

#30 ·
Those are cute Gris! Last weekend I opened the door to a playhouse in my mom's backyard that we built back in the early 80's and was surprised to see all the cool toys we closed up in there. I spotted the cabbage patch kids barrel shaped table/chairs I had bought for the girls I babysat back then and the game monstermash WAY back in a corner. The heat has been horrible here and I can't wait to finally get a break to go on a hunt :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.